can't activate Windows 10 Pro clean install vs 8.1 to 10 upgrade

Reaction score
hey all,

i'm running into an issue with activating a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my netbook.

i did an upgrade on the same netbook from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, which installed and activated fine.

i decided to try wiping the drive (SSD) and install Windows 10 clean.. the installation went fine, but Windows failed to activate (didn't see any details, just indicated the activation didn't work).

shouldn't the clean install activate if it's been done on the same hardware as the upgrade install? from what i've read, this is officially supported.

am i doing something wrong? has anyone else run into this issue?

thanks!

Reaction score
am i doing something wrong?

Yes. You " decided to try wiping the drive (SSD) and install Windows 10 clean".
By doing that you no longer has a upgraded and activated Windows 10 installed. Therefore, your subsequent clean install does not get activated.

Reaction score
Come on dav, that's supposed to be a completely valid procedure. Once a system has been upgraded, it should take a clean install. Here Matt is saying the clean install is not activating after which it was upgraded before hand.

Reaction score
Here Matt is saying .......
i decided to try wiping the drive (SSD) and install Windows 10 clean.

What do you think wiping the drive clean means ?

Reaction score
as Clifford mentioned, this is a completely valid way of installing Windows 10 without needing to activate again, according to Microsoft:

"Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded."

Reaction score
If you don't believe what I said to you.
Then read your own excerpt........................
If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation

Reaction score
what change?? i have not made any changes to may hardware. i formatted the SSD, that's it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've managed to do several of these now without issue (clean installs, post upgrade on an activated Windows 10).
So..... I know it works, I just don't know what you might have done differently.
Did you attempt, at any time during the process to enter a Windows 10 product key that you thought was correct?
I have always chosen "skip" and " do this later" during my clean installs.
Post clean install, did you happen to check your date, time and regional settings?

It may be a case where the activation service servers are overwhelmed and it will activate at some point, as long as you don't try entering / adding a key.

Reaction score
As usual, davidhk129 hasn't a clue. I've formatted my hdd after doing an upgrade, then did a clean install without issue a couple times. There should be an option to activate by phone. It's a pretty painless process. I've had to do it dozens of times with Windows 8 and Vista.

Reaction score
I've managed to do several of these now without issue (clean installs, post upgrade on an activated Windows 10).
So..... I know it works, I just don't know what you might have done differently.
Did you attempt, at any time during the process to enter a Windows 10 product key that you thought was correct?
I have always chosen "skip" and " do this later" during my clean installs.
Post clean install, did you happen to check your date, time and regional settings?

It may be a case where the activation service servers are overwhelmed and it will activate at some point, as long as you don't try entering / adding a key.

right, i read about skipping the license key on a clean install- i did enter it and didn't realizing skipping was an option at the time, i'll try that.. i also noticed my time (possibly the date) were wrong, so maybe that's also part of it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i did enter it and didn't realizing skipping was an option at the time
I think that, that is a "No - No".
There aren't any actual Windows 10 Product keys, unless of course you have actually purchased an OEM or Retail product, in which case we probably wouldn't be having the conversation.
So each time you are prompted you should see a link with words like "Skip" or "Do This Later", just use those.
IF you think you have a viable product key and have not actually purchased a product, then you are probably wrong. They are apparently not universally unique like product keys we have seen in the past and are used to, so I think you can pretty much disregard any preconceptions as to what we think we know about product keys and just rely on the process to put something there that has already been associated with your PC, as a product of past activation.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As usual, davidhk129 hasn't a clue.
That may be uncalled for and completely inaccurate.
davidhk129 has been a valuable asset to this community and has made many posts attempting to provide insight and help to many members.
I think, based on 997 post and 99 likes received he should be recognized as such ( a valued contributor).
Have all of his posts been absolute jewels?
Have yours? Have mine? ....... Nope, occasionally we get one right and that's why we're all here.
We often are stuck just doing what we can, given the information at hand and based on our interpretation of the OP's query.

These often start with....
Since upgrading to Windows 10....
My screen is black
My internet doesn't work
Can't print
My "whatever" is "broken".
No mention of the Computer Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number, particular hardware device that might be involved...... etc., etc.,

I personally think that anyone and everyone who even tries to participate in these forums deserves a great deal of credit for just being here, either helping or asking for help.

But that's just me.

Reaction score
Helpful? Sometimes. Argumentative, and arrogant? Yes. Sometimes very inaccurate? Yes. Oh well. Enjoy.

Reaction score
just so it's out there, i appreciate any and all efforts made to help troubleshoot an issue, whether this leads to a solution or not; and i completely understand Trouble's thoughts, i guess that's just the nature of forums in general :)

so, i wiped the SSD and reinstalled 10, this time skipping all license key prompts.. unfortunately, it still didn't activate.

is the activation server being busy a common culprit for activation issues? i'll double-check my date/time settings.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
is the activation server being busy a common culprit for activation issues?
It has been, in the past, from time to time.
I'd actually give it 3 days minimum and maybe as much as 5 days.

Reaction score
From what I understand is if your Windows 10 is upgraded then Microsoft knows your system by the you entering your Microsoft account. Once you log in then it sees that you have an operating system not activated then checks hardware to match Windows 10 computer specs. If there is a match then activation happens if not you have to call them. Me personally I didn't take a chance and did a clean install from within windows and wiped everything. It was activated after the install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just did one to test to make sure that nothing was different or that I had misunderstood anything in the process.
I used http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/portable-partition-magic.html
To delete all partition on my GPT drive in advance of even exposing the computer to the installation media.
I then attached my UEFI compliant USB 3.0 ThumbDrive, booted from it, installed Windows 10.
I didn't use my MS Account, I created a local user, a must as there was no Internet connection as Windows 10 does not have drivers for my "Killer" network adapter.
As soon as it was up and running I installed the driver for the network card, along with other chipset drivers and GPU driver, checked updates / activation and it was activated.
Then I converted my local account to my MS Account.

Ask a Question