Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 - had to reformat and now can't activate?

Reaction score
Hey - I had to reformat everything and they wouldnt let me download the ISO for the regular Windows 10, so I decided to download and install the enterprise edition.

It's now asking me to 'Activate Windows' and I tried using the key they provide on their website: CKFK9-QNGF2-D34FM-99QX2-8XC4K, but it didn't work.

I originally just upgraded from Windows 8.1, but obviously didn't do that this time, is there a way to tell Windows that I have Windows 8? I still have the product key and everything for 8, but I'm fearful that it won't recognize that I have a legit copy of windows when this leaves beta.

Thanks for the help.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hey - I had to reformat everything and they wouldnt let me download the ISO for the regular Windows 10, so I decided to download and install the enterprise edition.
MS has pulled the ISO preview because of the RTM release that's coming on the 29th. Not sure if that applies to the all versions of 10 (Enterprise) as well.

originally just upgraded from Windows 8.1, but obviously didn't do that this time, is there a way to tell Windows that I have Windows 8? I still have the product key and everything for 8, but I'm fearful that it won't recognize that I have a legit copy of windows when this leaves beta.

You might just want to do another format/clean install of windows 8.1 using your 8.1 key. Then reserve your copy of windows 10 Free upgrade. Which is what most of us are doing.

Note: MS has said that we upgraders will be allowed to do a clean install of windows 10 after the upgrade has taken place. MS hasn't released any information on the how to's of that procedure yet.

Reaction score
You might just want to do another format/clean install of windows 8.1 using your 8.1 key. Then reserve your copy of windows 10 Free upgrade. Which is what most of us are doing.

Note: MS has said that we upgraders will be allowed to do a clean install of windows 10 after the upgrade has taken place. MS hasn't released any information on the how to's of that procedure yet.

Excuse my newbie question - but I assume I'd lose everything again and then have to re-add everything again on Windows 8.1?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Excuse my newbie question - but I assume I'd lose everything again and then have to re-add everything again on Windows 8.1?
Yes...that is correct. So back up everything you want to keep to a flash drive/DVD or external drive.

Reaction score
To Darren,
To add to what has already been said to you.......

excerpt: Source
If you installed the Enterprise Edition, but are not part of an organization with a Volume License, you will not be able to activate. Please revert Windows 7 or 8.1, and upgrade to Windows after it’s released on July 29 by reserving your copy of Windows 10.
............................................................................................................................
P.S. You don't really have to "reserve". As long as your Windows is a genuine qualified copy, you will get a free upgrade.

After you have reverted back to Win 8.1 you will be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM.
The initial upgrade MUST be done via Windows Update.
ISO is expected to be released on or after July 29th.
You can then download the ISO, do a clean install if you want, or keep it on file for future in case you need to reinstall.

Ask a Question