Has anyone upgraded a Dell Studio 540 from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Reaction score
My daughter has a Dell Studio 540 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and she's been asking me if it's OK to upgrade to Windows 10. Since I live several hundred miles from her I didn't want to tell her to go ahead until I had a chance to check things out and now I'm wondering myself what to do.

I fired up some Dell utility for drivers and updates and it came back with a message that said the Studio 540 had not been tested for compatibility with Windows 10 and if an upgrade was attempted things might not work. Of course that doesn't really mean they won't it only means that Dell hasn't tested anything and they're covering themselves just in case. Now The Windows Upgrade Icon is in her system tray and it says that the machine was tested and found to be compatible with no issues found so drivers might exist from Microsoft.

So, has anyone upgraded a Dell Studio 540? If so, what if any problems did you encounter?

Reaction score
I have upgraded a couple 2005-ish Optiplex GX620 which had a pentium D 940 cpu, 4Gb ram from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro with no problems. Now these did have a dedicated video card in them (nVidia GT730) and I put a 128Gb SSD as a boot drive in them but I would think the Studio 540 should upgrade OK. Plus the rollback to previous operating system feature does work (have done it to a few systems to try it).

Win 10 can use drivers from Win 8/8.1 so any devices that don't get drivers loaded can usually be fixed by getting the Win 8 driver for it. Did that on my Asus Transformer Book T200-TA to get a number of devices that Asus hadn't provided drivers for (and still hasn't).

Sam

Ask a Question