SOLVED Has Windows 10 improved annything

Reaction score
I just would love to waste members time.
I really would like to confine comments to Windows 10, but feel free if you want to go back a little further U(But. No comments regarding the merits of Linux- PLEASE)
I am quite fond of Windows 10. What it offers pleases me. I have limits on what I need an OS for - quite basic, in essence.
The chat I would like to open, though, is , what can you, without too much depth, say has improved since its innovation.
I have seen familiar items moved around - quite a lot, to the point where one has to maj´´ke a hunt to fins out where they have gone. Small alterations- For example, the so.called new snipping tool. What was wrong with the old one. All I see id a new interface - Get my drift.
Anyway. Go ahead. Be rude if you wish. I am thick skinned!!!

Oh, I should add. For the nerd readers, I dont appreciate any comments regrading "under the hood" improvements.

Bif

Reaction score
Windows to me is just a tool, hopefully it works out of the box without a great deal of tweaking...10 to me is just a name and like Vicegrip or Kleenex..a hundred variations on a core tool where some function better than others.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a term or phrase often used in politics where a politician will ask voters.....
"Are you better off than you were two years ago"
The number of years are often adjusted to fit a particular political race.

All I can say on this particular topic is.....
Microsoft should probably hope and pray, that users never seriously ask themselves that question.

AND in the interest of being fair and balanced....
Other participants in this industry should be equally concerned
Certain manufacturers of the latest mobile phones, game consoles, etc....

Fortunately for them, we seem to be a market who delight in chasing the latest shiny new object.

Reaction score
I have had no problems with W10 since maybe 6 months into the Insider program and none at all on my desktop which has always got the actual releases on day 1, Even the 1809 release, I got it on the first day before it was withdrawn and it all worked for me.

Points. When I say 'all' above note that I use practically none of the new stuff. I don't use MS mail of any sort I use Thunderbird. Don't use Edge, use Chrome, My graphics card is a 3 year old Nvidia . I do use Office 2016 and I use the old Windows 7/8 solitaire not the new ones. My machine is conventional BIOS not UEFI. I have both machines ( + my Wife's) on wired Gigabit ethernet. I use Wifi on the laptop mainly to cast to my TV. My system printer is wifi.

Reaction score
Aside from the stupid tiles and automated updates, there really is no difference for me.

I install the OS and occasionally use WordPad. Microsoft bloat does not work for me. I am forced to install third party applications to do anything at all.

Reaction score
I find that I spend much more time performing user maintenance tasks and deleting useless apps.
I never created so many OS images when running on Win 7 it was solid and you could accept or refuse updates. Windows 10 with 3 PCs it seems that all I do is create OS images. When will MS stop this madness. :(

Reaction score
I find Windows now a great way to give my personal data to a company so they can my boatloads of money off of me. Both Google and Windows have made more money off of me than I have found anything useful in either ones OS. I know you said you didn't want the discussion to be about Linux, but it's the only OS I know that doesn't jerk the end user.

Reaction score
Sorry. My mistake. I have just read the thread title. Quite an important bit lost (My typing gets worst with age!)
Anyway, reading the follow up posts, and quoting from my first post:

"what can you, without too much depth, say has improved since its innovation."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all,

my opinion/take is that yes; it has improved somewhat but in the same case, it (Microsoft) has taken steps to milk as much money as they can from the user. They shoot themselves in the foot by forcing things on the user that the user doesn't want or need, a good example is the games that auto install along with the OS during initial installation. The interface is ugly imo and I would like to see a selection of user interfaces including Vista and XP which were quite pleasing to the eye.

Improvements (depends on your opinion) will always be there, each OS does this whether the end user agrees with it or not. Driver updates may most likely always prove to be difficult for some older hardware???. ;););)

Linux is a different story so I won't go there. :):):)

Reaction score
Tks. Driver updates are, of course, the responsibility of MS to forward, but are supplied to MS by the driver programmers.
Could you itemise a couple or so points where you think it has improved?

Reaction score
Could you itemise a couple or so points where you think it has improved?
I will try Dave, it seems more responsive in real terms, doesn't take long to boot and feels generally snappy. Lots of new tools to play around with although that said, I don't see the need for both settings and control panel, that seems counter productive to me.

In settings, they seem to have made a lot of effort to help people with disabilities which is great, language support in multi languages is also a great thing. Edge browser is a vast improvement over Internet Explorer.

That will do for now. :):):)

Reaction score
Ok. tks again for the input.
That was the kind of answer I was expecting.
I have installed a very early version of Windows 10, on an identical machine to the one I am using here. Naturally, they are both configured, as I wish, but similarly.
I have no sophisticated measuring equipment, so only use visual impression and my wristwatch.
Possibly, the startup time may have showed a slight improvement, but it would be a matter of a second or two, if any. Bearing in mind the number of times a user would wish to start, I, personally would not consider it a significant feature.,
I don*t feel qualified to comment on the "snappiness" of the OS. For the functions I use, I see no difference.
Not sure, either, regarding language support. Is there anything new since 8.1?

Reaction score
I am part of "the older set". I resist change! Why, because my learning curve is steeper than it once was. I spent a lot of time getting proficient with XP. I am not a gamer so XP eventually did for me everything that I needed.

Then came W7 followed by W10. Again, a new learning curve.

Now I am beginning to become comfortable with W10 and I find that it also does most everything I need to do and is probably doing a lot that I don't know about in the background. Things like security and protection against malicious software.

My printer tells me when I need ink and I get replacement cartridges in the mail. This probably costs me more than I realize but I don't have to make a trip to get ink. This is a trade off and a service that I don't need to utilize.

Is it getting better? Probably not for me. All I really need is what I have had for years; a word processor, a spread sheet , a graphic program and a few software tools.

What would I ask for...leave alone those things that work. Don't fix what is not broken. I already know how to SNIP.

I used to know how to download photo images. Then Samsung changed my phone while MS changed the photo handler. I can't keep up.

The kids, grand kids and now the great grand kids all think it is great fun and they are good at it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Post Script:

I finally got my workgroup established and functioning like I wanted with a station in the office and another in the shop and the laptop. Then along comes W10 with no support for "workgroups".

Ask a Question