I wonder if anyone else has this same frustrating problem'''?

Reaction score
Since having Windows 10 since last September I've found there have been occasional times when I can't get onto the internet, and I've only recently realised why...it happens whenever I've got a download installing. While this can be frustrating at times I'm not concerned about it, but just wonder why this should happen.

Reaction score
By a download do you mean a Windows update? I am not surprised although I wonder what happens if you open a different browser and try.

Reaction score
It probably means that your machine is swamped. Going onto the internet at that time could corrupt the download.

But cheer up! After a few weeks, you'll have all of the current downloads installed.

Reaction score
By a download do you mean a Windows update? I am not surprised although I wonder what happens if you open a different browser and try.
Ye I did mean Windows Update...I've never thought to try it with another browser - might give it a try.

Reaction score
Windows, while doing an update COULD disallow any other tcp/ip connection while the download is happening but it seems unlikely that they would do that. A modern fast machine on a modern 50-1000 Mbps internet connection would have no trouble downloading a Windows update and streaming a movie at the same time.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on an i7. But I don't honestly think the strength/speed of the machine is a factor. MS mandatory updates appear to take precedence. For me it is a nuisance as I have an extremely slow internet speed. Takes about 3 hours to download an ISO, during which time I am almost at a standstill on the web.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ann,

There is an excellent article published online on how to Manage Windows 10 Updates.

For the Windows 10 Home user some of the options are not available, but for the other editions the entire article is relevant. While the suggestions may not entirely free you from the particular issue you spoke of, in theory you can at least manage when the updates are installed (i.e. manually select a moment that will be of least inconvenience to you).

For users of a Metered Internet connection there is also an option which when set will minimize the bandwith used which can save you $$$ and time.

I'd recommend you read this article and anyone else not all ready familiar with how to manage their Window Update.

Article Url: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/manage-windows-update-windows-10/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I can defer the upgrades, but, in order to continue with my day to day work, I would not be able to do this. I need to be up to date. There is a thread on another forum, where I have just been, which has got some members floundering as they have found they are all on different builds as a result of deferring.

Using Gpedit (changing the registry) is not an option either, unfortunately. The suggestion merely defers again, but to the users own specs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Tim Locke already said, the bottleneck could be your internet connection. It is absolute possible that windows update "reserves" the bandwidth for himself to make sure that updates can be downloaded uninterrupted.
I myself have a 50/50 connection (50Mbps down/ 50Mbps up) and have never experienced this symptom. I have noticed though (at work), with a DSL connection and a heavy download, the browsing can be slowed down to a crawl....

Reaction score
Since I made that guess back in April my 'net speed is up to over 100Mb/s Certainly I have no trouble with HD Netflix, downloading a Insider build and running Youtube videos at once BUT this is on 3 separate machines so it proves nothing about what Windows update may do.

T_J

Reaction score
I have slow DSL (1.28 Mbps + required landline (no long distance package) = $68) and have started making a Restore Point after an Update finishes. So if something should go wrong (?), I wouldn't have to redo the whole last update again.

Reaction score
I have slow DSL (1.28 Mbps + required landline (no long distance package) = $68) and have started making a Restore Point after an Update finishes. So if something should go wrong (?), I wouldn't have to redo the whole last update again.

You can set the restore point before the update automatically and then as you say do another one after the update has finished and you have rebooted to be sure everything is ok. That will certainly do no harm to your safety.

Reaction score
I have no problem streaming on the internet when WU is uploading an update. I have 50MB internet speed;)!

Reaction score
I have no problem streaming on the internet when WU is uploading an update. I have 50MB internet speed;)!
I have that speed too but not everybody has that and downloading the CU with a slow connection can be a hassle and a P.i.t.A.

Ask a Question