Numerous problems with the wonderful new windows!

Reaction score
problems experienced currently are in the main:

All the apps have vanished including Edge and Settings which is really inconvenient

Startup and restart do nothing when selected anymore

If I select an item on the desktop and there is no response then by clicking anywhere on the desktop I can get a restart for the desktop and the problem is cured for the time being

On bootup all goes well untill preparing windows appears - the system can take up to 15 mins to start from this point

I have tried all the fixes I could find but to no avail - does anyone have a magic answer??

If the only cure is to do a clean install then I will go back to windows 7 which i have to say is streets ahead of this current *****

Many thanks

Martin

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
upload_2016-1-30_15-18-7.png

Try what I have just posted if you have not already done so

Reaction score
Thanks for that - the first option returned the one you list as 3.

the dism command I have tried before but every time it finishes saying unable to download the necessary files - I have tried setting the source to i:\sources\sxs which is a USB stick with windows 10 on it but again it says unable to access the files needed.

as an add on to my woes my system has lost all sound and gives the error unable to play test tone

It does seem i am by no means alone in experiencing these sort of problems so why does microsoft not try and sort them out???????

Cheers

Martin

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
does anyone have a magic answer??
I don't know how magical it is but, I think I'd try an in-place repair upgrade installation.
FIRST
Obtain the latest ISO from here for your version of Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to perform the in-place upgrade or you could simply double click the ISO from within your current install of Windows 10 which will mount it as a virtual drive and then run setup.exe from there.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.
NOTE: Be sure to back up all your critical data first.

Reaction score
As a 70 year old amateur genealogist, I am tearing my hair out with a brand new laptop with Windows 10.I have nil computer knowledge and assumed everything would be sorted and updated by Microsoft.The Ancestry images I am trying to read,just crash and leave wavey lines,illegible and I am continually advised that the display drive Windows 8 (R)has stopped responding and has recovered, but clearly has not.I now cannot get into the computer as they could not connect to the group policy client service and must consult the system administrator,my husband, and he has no clue either.I spent a lot on this HP laptop,with a lot of memory and just wanted to complete my family history more comfortably and to read a few computer images.Also,all my records went to one drive and I do not know if they are on the computer as well as being on the Netherlands region.I am very disappointed with this new system and never had any problems with our old vista computer.My problem is I do not know if it is the computer or windows or me at fault.This is way too difficult for me .I think it would be a challenge to help someone of my limited competence as I just don't get it.Would appreciate any sort of help.Should I go back to Curry's,to HP or Microsoft,if I knew where to email them It would not be much use for a chat with Microsoft,as I do not know the questions never mind the answers.Thanks for your concern in trying to help people who are struggling.Thank you.

Reaction score
As a 70 year old amateur genealogist, I am tearing my hair out with a brand new laptop with Windows 10.I have nil computer knowledge and assumed everything would be sorted and updated by Microsoft.The Ancestry images I am trying to read,just crash and leave wavey lines,illegible and I am continually advised that the display drive Windows 8 (R)has stopped responding and has recovered, but clearly has not.I now cannot get into the computer as they could not connect to the group policy client service and must consult the system administrator,my husband, and he has no clue either.I spent a lot on this HP laptop,with a lot of memory and just wanted to complete my family history more comfortably and to read a few computer images.Also,all my records went to one drive and I do not know if they are on the computer as well as being on the Netherlands region.I am very disappointed with this new system and never had any problems with our old vista computer.My problem is I do not know if it is the computer or windows or me at fault.This is way too difficult for me .I think it would be a challenge to help someone of my limited competence as I just don't get it.Would appreciate any sort of help.Should I go back to Curry's,to HP or Microsoft,if I knew where to email them It would not be much use for a chat with Microsoft,as I do not know the questions never mind the answers.Thanks for your concern in trying to help people who are struggling.Thank you.

First I would make sure that all of your Windows Updates are installed. You should be at build 10586.71. You can find this by typing winver in the Run Command. Next make sure that your video drivers are updated and finall make sure that all of the windows apps are updated. To do this just migrate to The Store and click on downloads and updates.

Reaction score
Much obliged and I will ask my son in law to assist with this, if I have any problems.I will let you know how I get on in the week.It is much appreciated that you are so willing to help folk like myself, who are not very capable and a bit afraid of computers, if I am honest.Best regards and thanks again.

Reaction score
Much obliged and I will ask my son in law to assist with this, if I have any problems.I will let you know how I get on in the week.It is much appreciated that you are so willing to help folk like myself, who are not very capable and a bit afraid of computers, if I am honest.Best regards and thanks again.

Reaction score
Just to thank you Gideon and to say that I think I am sorted. I did what you said re the build and also updated the Intel [R ] processor graphic driver from 10.18.15.4256 to 20.19.15.4331 [18/11/2015 ]I can read the ancestry images ok, up to now, fingers crossed. I got online chat help from Microsoft, a very helpful, patient and professional person called Edel G.I have the computer skills of a pea and type like a snail. As I was quite flustered, Edel helped, by remote control and left me a message in simple terms, that I could actually do myself. I guess it was my fault and nothing to do with Windows 10. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I don't know how magical it is but, I think I'd try an in-place repair upgrade installation.
FIRST
Obtain the latest ISO from here for your version of Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to perform the in-place upgrade or you could simply double click the ISO from within your current install of Windows 10 which will mount it as a virtual drive and then run setup.exe from there.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.
NOTE: Be sure to back up all your critical data first.

Tried the in-place repair but got the following message after about 75% complete:
"installation failed in second boot phase with an error during Migrate-Data operation"
I tried again and got the same message but for SYSPREP operation.
Any ideas?
Martin

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas?
Nope, but....
You're talking to a guy who was never, ever able to upgrade his 7 Ultimate 64 bit install to Windows 8. After multiple failed attempts and reverting back, I ended up doing a clean install.
If the only cure is to do a clean install then I will go back to windows 7 which i have to say is streets ahead of this current
That may be your best bet, if you're not willing to go the clean install route (and I don't blame you).
Then create a disk image and then maybe give it a try again at some point later.

Ask a Question