SOLVED Which video editing software to use

Reaction score
I am looking at some of the available.video editing software and have been very successful in confusing the hell out of myself. I am not wealthy enough to pay out a huge sum of money, but I can output a moderate sum, say under $100.
The thing that confuses me is the free MS Movie Maker seems to do a lot of the stuff that the paid for apps do.
I guess I am just looking for some comments that might help me make a logical decision.
Thank you

Reaction score
Decide what you actually want to edit (just cropping, adding music etc). Them look at Movie Maker - will that do what you want? If so, you're all set.

If not, I use Serif MoviePlus X6. It does everything I want. http://www.serif.com/movieplus/. Serif are always having deals and discounts, so don't pay full price - give them a call and see what you can get.

Alan

Reaction score
jrj350, I do quite a bit of video editing and have tried just about every video package (paid and free) out there.

There several basic things to consider when evaluating software:
  1. Do you need to process raw HD video? 4k video?
  2. What kind of output are you looking for? Just to a computer file or will you be burning DVDs? Blu-Ray?
  3. How much post-processing (editing/splicing, adding effects, text, graphics) will you be doing?
  4. How much processing power does your computer have?

Most of the free software will do basic editing and allow a few effects. Some will not process 4K, some do. The paid products almost always have more to offer, plus support is available. One of the best free video editors on the market is Lightworks. The free version is somewhat limited on the output you can achieve (I believe it is limited to 780i, not 1040i/p). The paid version will do 1040i/p, but that is out of your stated price ceiling of $100.00.

Within your price ceiling, in the recent past I have purchased and used recent versions of Cyberlink's PowerDirector, Sony's Movie Studio, and Adobe's Premiere Elements. All are capable editors, but the one I always come back to is Premiere Elements simply because it runs better on my laptop, which is an i7 quad core 8g ram w/NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M display (just so you can compare to your rig's specs). The other software runs fine as well, but the workflow offered by Adobe's product fits with my habits, I like the UI the best, and runs great on my machine. Your mileage may vary. I would suggest downloading free 30 day trials for each of these programs (as Bluto said in Animal House "don't cost nuthin") and determine what works best for you.

Please post back whatever you decide on.

Reaction score
Thank you for the very quick replies.

I had made the decision to go with Serif MoviePlus X6, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. The company does not use PayPal as a method of payment and I do not use any of their available methods. This is not open for discussion. I downloaded the free X5 version, and really liked it.

I opted out of the Premiere Elements as that is a monthly subscription which doesn't interest me. It did read like a very nice program but a bit too sophisticated for me, I think.

As for how I plan to use it, just to make short movies of my surroundings to send back to relatives in the States. Nothing too elaborate.
So I'll continue to look around.

Again, thanks for your interest.

James

Reaction score
"I opted out of the Premiere Elements as that is a monthly subscription which doesn't interest me."

Just for the record, Premiere Elements is sold as a standalone one-time purchase product as well. You may have been looking at the pro version "Premiere Pro" which is only available as an Adobe subscription. Premier Pro is indeed intimidating whereas Premiere Elements is geared towards folks that just want to to make short movies such as yourself. I encourage you to revisit the Adobe products website and ensure you were actually looking at the Premiere Elements product page and not the Pro one.

Also look at the Lightworks free version. Not sure if this forum allows links, so just do an internet search for Lightworks. There is a free version and I can almost guarantee it will suffice for what you want to do, with the exception of some output modes reserved for the paid version.

Bif

Reaction score
I use Adobe Premier for the small amount I do..it works very well but steep learning curve and far more program than most need..like driving a Lamborghini when your use to driving a Buick..but it works.

Reaction score
Roger that, I will definitely take another look at Premiere Elements. Thanks for the heads up.

Bif

Reaction score
That's a great deal Trouble!..no subscription fee needed,at least I've never paid one or had any notifications stating otherwise.
I like the merry Christmas to me idea!...I did the same today with a shiny new Chromecast..
I'm sure you'll like the software..and I hope you like reading,as there are volumes in the manuals!

Reaction score
There will be no subscription fees necessary for that deal, Trouble. Been using this software for quite awhile and it is well worth the $. PM me if you have any questions about them.

Reaction score
Well, I have looked at the various programs and decided to go with Serif X6. It seems to do everything I'll ever want, and the learning curve isn't bad at all. It was a fast download and easy installation. Now I can start to put some of my video clips together.
I downloaded some of the free programs and looked them over.
Well, that about does it for this thread. I surely appreciate everyone's input. It is so nice to be able to lean back on those with some experience.
Thanks everybody...Merry Christmas and a Happy 2016!

Bif

Reaction score
Glad you found something that fits..
Merry Christmas and all the best in 2016 to you as well!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I procrastinated on my purchase just long enough.
I received an email today from Amazon quoting me what in effect was 50% off of the dual product purchase price so I snapped it up.
Ended up being a grand total of $48.77
Now to play.

Reaction score
Man did you ever get a good deal. Looks like it pays to wait a little while on a bargain. Hope you enjoy it.
Good luck with your Christmas present.

Hope you have a good 2016.

Ask a Question