Who knew?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The patches have been deployed to customer systems via an update to the Windows Codecs Library, delivered through the Windows Store app -- not the Windows Update mechanism.
I did not even know that, that was a thing.
SOURCE: https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...ity-update-to-fix-two-bugs-in-windows-codecs/

I mean I realize that you get updates to "apps" through the Windows Store.
I just wasn't aware that it was a means of updating the Operating System bits.
The update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how Microsoft Windows Codecs Library handles objects in memory.
SOURCE: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/e...0143_AFF_159047_3327__243952&OWTGT=AFF_159047

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Wow.....another MS blunder and hidden fix. I had no idea either. My question is; how do you know you have the patches installed?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie, I have one of those hauppauge PCIe cards from an old HP system I had and that died on me 9 months later. I still have that card somewhere.

So, how do you like the USB version of it?

Reaction score
Hi Bass,

excellent piece of kit, great picture quality as long as your PC has a
  • For DVB-T2: Intel Core i3 CPU mit 2.4 GHz or higher
  • For DVB-C: Dual-Core CPU mit 2.4 GHz or higher
you are fine. 1 laptop and my 2 PC's all meet the requirements, 1 laptop only has a 1.7 GHz CPU so it is a slideshow!. :)

Another good thing about the USB version is that you can move it around and use it on different devices whereas a PCI-E version is static. It also works on Linux systems as long as you download the respective firmware and copy it into the "root > etc > lib > firmware" folder!. :p

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how do you know you have the patches installed?
That was sort of my point when I posted.
I didn't know that it was even possible, so I have no clue as to an easy way of confirming the installation.
Probably super secret, need to know, I could tell you but then..... sneaky stuff.

One might assume that somewhere in the registry there is likely a mention or two.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Holy crap Trouble.....back to back funnies. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking my coffee or all my new pretty blinged out toys would have coffee all over them right now. ✨

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
back to back funnies
I try, sometimes falling short. It's not always easy to express humor in this format and then there's the problem with my sense of humor, not to everyone's liking.
On the other hand....
We all use Windows 10, so I think a good sense of humor is probably the only thing keeping many of us sane - ish.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Amen to that.
I've been experiencing some BSOD's as of late... memory management. I finally tracked it down to my Killer 2200 software from Big Foot. After clean installing 20H1, 10 did a pretty damn good job finding all my drivers except for my audio. It was using windows native sound driver. I had to get ReaTek and job done.

Then I installed that damned Big Foot Killer 2200 software....what a mistake that was. So I got rid of it ..... so I thought. I was still in my windows start up. Coming out of sleep mode, it would BSOD. Just out of sheer luck, I looked in task manager and there's the program named "Program" and enabled. So looking on how to remove items out of there, I finally hit pay dirt. The online fixes using regedit to manually remove it didn't work as the software was already deleted but the startup registry string was still there.

So I ran Ccleaner registry cleaner and let it do it's thing and bingo....all gone and no more BSOD's coming out of sleep mode. Let's see what else i can dork up and fix...holy hell. Why can't we just leave things as they are.....but Nooo'oooo.....we have to push it for what ever reason. Well I do....nut sure about anybody else. Why, I ask myself and I reply....IDK, it's something to do.

Reaction score
So. how do you come to know whether the patches are installed or not?
Also, are there any ways you can get the patches directly from Windows instead of the Microsoft store?

Ask a Question