Why do video icons differ ?

Reaction score
My x32Win10ProV21H2 accesses videos on two different external HDDs. The files on the SSD have icons with thumbnails; those on the HDD, with minor exceptions, show just the one generic video player icon. Why would that be ? Can it be changed ?

Reaction score
In File Explorer you may need set the View [icons, thumbnails, etc.] as desired then go to View, Folder Options, View tab and make other choices, I use Apply to Folders.

1667065021916.png

Reaction score
Any choices made in Folder Options do NOT distinguish between two different external HDDs.
I'm asking about the fact that on different data HDDs, the icons are different.

Reaction score
The SSD is connected via USB (making it an 'external' ?); the magnetic storage is connected via SATA (making it an 'internal' ?)

Reaction score
Yes, USB is usually External and SATA is usually Internal but some computers have an eSATA port which is for External drives that use a special cable. SATA/Serial ATA replaced the older PATA/Parallel ATA or IDE type connections to the motherboard. An issue can occur when External drives are removed then later plugged in and maybe to different ports, get identified differently.

Reaction score
There are NO IDE connections. Obviously the 'ports' are different - one is USB and the other is SATA. "Identified differently" - so they should be as they are different storage drives. Your answer throws new light on the issue, which I had not previously considered. So it deals with the 'why' part of my question. - THANK YOU. Now for the 'Can it be changed ?' part ....

Reaction score
Following the 'revelation' above, I decided to look at the Folder Options as opened from the SATA-connected magnetic drive. Both of the options about icons/thumbnails were UNticked. Previously, only videos in some subfolders had shown thumbnails; now only the first few of the ones that showed generic icons were showing thumbnails instead, but the bulk still showed generics. I'm puzzled by the inconsistency.

Ask a Question