SOLVED VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE - nvlddmkm.sys

Reaction score
Hi There,

I've seemingly randomly started to experience crashes/freezes in windows over the last 2-3 weeks, and in my efforts to diagnose the issue, I came across this forum and hoped to find some help. I haven't made any hardware changes and don't think I have made any software changes, but unsure.

Essentially as stated above, PC will randomly lock up or crash and I'm not sure of the cause. I have noticed crashes will happen independently of what the PC is doing - Lock screen, web browsing, gaming, after windows load, etc. For the majority of crashes, I will get a coloured solid screen and restart - I was able to get of both my monitors this morning.
IMG_4238.jpg

So far I have tried:
  • GPU Driver Upgrade & downgrade
  • Reinstall drivers using NVCleaninstall
  • Reinstall drivers using DDU (safe mode)
  • Windows updates
  • CHKDSK
  • SFC & DISM - Sidenote, SFC said an issue was repaired but the log didn't seem to show anything was changed, apparently this is a windows bug. I ran a couple of further times and no issues were found. I had around 4 days uptime after the scan and thought I had fixed it but unfortunately not.
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic & memtest86 (I limited the number of iterations on one of them but both came back with no errors)
  • Also ran a 3D Mark stress test, but I was unable to get it to crash
So my next step would be a Windows reinstall otherwise I would think the issue would be hardware and crossing my fingers it isn't a failing GPU.

I have attached my last two dumps but I have some more if required.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0rl7pmdgy7m6kr8/AAA2RbSkFhDksgwd4bwxnzjIa?dl=0

I Hope Windows10forums can help me out.

Cheers

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry you have multiple drivers like
avipbb.sys
That looks like maybe Avira or perhaps Avast or maybe AVG or even an amalgam IDK.
IF you could do some research as to how to completely remove that and all its' remnants then perhaps we could start anew without those items complicating what may still be a difficult diagnosis.
AND
Would you mind taking a quick snap of winver (as below) and including it with a future post?

Capture.JPG

A cursory look (and I may be wrong) looks like you are still on 2004 which is three updates behind and if accurate reached End of Service earlier this month. Not that, that has anything to do with your current issue (although who knows). It might be worth catching up a bit.

Reaction score
Just Avira, I've uninstalled it now. Actually, while looking in event log it has pointed to an issue with the driver:
The description for Event ID 17 from source avipbb cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I'm on 21H2 since 31/07 according to windows
1640816319056.png

Thanks

Reaction score
PC has managed to match my last longest uptime, going to mark this as solved.

Thank you for the help, Trouble :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear that you've managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.
Best
Randy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Lol, noted. Didn't realise AV had so many issues with windows these days.

Alas, no crashes since uninstalling Bitdefender, marking as solved.

Thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Didn't realise AV had so many issues with windows these days.

Alas, no crashes since uninstalling Bitdefender, marking as solved.
I've learned that very often issues with Windows Operating Systems are caused by third party software products, mostly those considered to be "utilities", such as AVs, Network Managers, Utilities supplied by some Motherboard Manufacturers and the like, as they seem to always introduce "drivers" onto the system.
Sometimes they're harmless and other times cause head-scratching problems that are often difficult to diagnose.
That's why I generally will start with those.

Glad to hear, things are apparently back on track again.

Ask a Question