SOLVED Why no "close all windows" in right click menu?

Reaction score
I choose to have every folder open into a new window but frequently find myself with 15 to 20 windows open by the time I'm through with what I was doing. In Win 7 I could right click on the window icon in the taskbar and choose "close all windows". I can't find that option exists in Win 10. Which means I have to click on the "x" to close each of the 20 windows.

I wonder why something so useful was removed in Win 10 and is there any way to add that functionality?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have five File Explorer Windows open now.
When I right click on the File Explorer icon on my taskbar, Close All Windows is an option.
Screenshot (4).png

Reaction score
I don't see that in my Windows 10.

I see Downloads and Documents (I unpinned Desktop and Pictures). I have ten files windows pinned next, then I see Recent which lists the last ten or so windows I've opened. I don't have a "frequent" label and I don't see "file explorer" or "close all windows" as an option. My right click just has "pinned" and "recent" categories. I tried to take a snapshot with the Snipping tool but every time I click on the tool the window I'm trying to snip closes so I can't select it.

Reaction score
Problem solved, I guess. I got Quick Access to reset itself and now I see the same info as Noob posted.

I say "I guess" because this is not the first time "Quick Access" has gotten corrupted. A week ago I couldn't pin or unpin (remove) anything to it. I checked with Microsoft Support since it seemed obviously a Windows problem. They couldn't solve it while I waited but agreed to work on a solution for $169 for a year's subscription to their paid support.

I didn't think I should pay them to find a solution to a problem their program created so I googled and got a script to run. It worked fine and Quick Access was working normally again. (When the "close all windows" feature failed to come up, I forgot whether it had ever worked in Win 10 or not.) But that it got corrupted again so soon doesn't bode well for the future functionality of Quick Access.

I got another problem with Win 10 but I'll start a new thread.

Reaction score
I thought I'd add one final discovery related to not seeing "close all windows" in the Quick Access section of the task bar. Turns out that "close all windows", being the last item in the list (see photo above), does not show up when the task bar is at the bottom of the screen. But if you move it to anywhere else, left, right or top, it does show then. Since it was at the bottom by default when I first turned the computer on it never occurred to me that could be the problem.

I've changed nothing to make that happen. Screen resolution is set at the desired setting. You can't change fonts in Win 10 even if you want to since those options are grayed out on the font setting pages. That makes me conclude that having the Quick Access menu truncated by the task bar being at the bottom of the screen is a programming error.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up, much appreciated.
The image I attached above is with the taskbar located at the bottom of the screen, but.....
You are not the first person I've heard reporting that the taskbar was responsible for truncating some items on their desktop.
I have no idea, why this would happen on some machines and not others.

Reaction score
Wow, this has been happening since 2015?! I came across this page because suddenly my "Close All Windows" button stopped appearing. I know it WAS there because I was writing a tutorial and had made sure one of the steps in my tutorial would work when using the "Close ALl Windows" button but towards the end of writing my tutorial, I went to go check a follow-up action and I no longer had the Close All Windows option and it only showed Close Window. I'm gonna have to look for that script you're talking about that resets Quick Access because this is nuts!

[Edit: Ahh I see now, it actually disappears when the tabs are all separate and only appears when all the tabs/windows of a specific program are combined which means it relies on the Taskbar Settings of "Always Combine" be set or when "Combine when full" is set and you have enough windows open to cause that particular app, this case explorer, to combine its windows in the taskbar.]

Last edited:

Ask a Question