Win 10 Reserved Copy

Reaction score
I am having problems getting my head around how I will go about using the Reserved Copy of Win 10.

When I am advised it has downloaded:
a) Will it install Automatically as a Windows Update.
b) It it installs Automatically, will it cause problems with already installed Software Programs.
c) Can I prevent it from installing Automatically.
d) If I turn Off Automatic Updates, what will happen to the Reserved Copy I booked..
e) Can I use the Downloaded Reserve Copy to perform a New Clean Install on a New HDD.
f) If I choose not to use the Downloaded Reserve Copy, what do I do with it on my machines.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There seems to be an abundance of problems associated with the "Reserved" copy and the subsequent install or maybe lack thereof.
Will it install Automatically as a Windows Update.
Sometimes if you wait patiently. Sometimes not.
It it installs Automatically, will it cause problems with already installed Software Programs
Usually not, but I have seen some reports of older programs not work properly or at all.
Can I prevent it from installing Automatically.
If I turn Off Automatic Updates, what will happen to the Reserved Copy I booked..
You can delay the installation.
I assume so. It would probably involve cleaning up the folder that the download is in and canceling the reservation and then removing the nagging KB associated with GWX.exe
You don't have to worry about the reserve copy, it's available here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 if you decide later to upgrade, you can use that tool to reacquire it.
If I choose not to use the Downloaded Reserve Copy, what do I do with it on my machines.
Not sure, I think cleanmgr.exe may get rid of it.

Reaction score
Do as Trouble suggests and just download the Media Creation Tool and go from there. That way you won't have to wait for the download, you're able to get it straight away.

I recommend to just download the ISO file and store it, then burn to either a DVD or use Rufus 2.2 to install it on a USB flash drive.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question