Win 8.1 and Win 7

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have this little problem (big problem) I run 2 computers one is a Win 8.1 Pro and the other one is a Win 7. Both are 32 bit. I am wanting to eventually move both of them to Win 10 of course. Now when I do this I want to run both of them 64 bit.

Can someone describe the easiest way to do this... I have read several articles on this so I have done some research on this. Most say you have to do a clean install, ok I understand this so what is the best way to save all my very important stuff and make sure it winds up on my new 64 bit Win 10.

Thanx for any and all help.

Thanx.....Gunny

Reaction score
You probably know changing bit version requires a new install. So first, backup all your personal data or start on a new hard drive and keep the old one for archiving.

Many Windows licenses allowing using either the 32 or 64 bit version installation, but there are some such as some student licenses which will not. But you can try reinstalling to 64 bit now and then upgrade to Windows 10 or upgrade to Windows 10 and after it is digitally registered you can then do a clean install with the x64 version.

I tried once to upgrade directly to the x64 bit version but I could not get Windows 10 to take my Windows 7 license, even if deleting the prior install during the new install. If you have you system backed up, if it fails at any point, you can recover.

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah what @Saltgrass said

It might also be possible to upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit. Then activate a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit with the upgrade license key you obtained (meaning extracted from) in the upgrade. I have not tried changing bit versions in Windows 10, so I can't say for sure what is possible.

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass

Thanx for the tips... I think I understand what you are saying... I never have done any backups in the normal way I clone my drives.. That is the only way I have done this since using computers which started in 1996.. So as computer familiar as I am I am sort of dumb with this archiving and backing up. I know this is dumb but this cloning always seemed the easiest way to do this. So if I had a problem or bug I could not fix all I had to do was swap drives and I was back in business in minutes. The one drive and the Cloud has always got my attention but I don't use either one of them.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Nobody has asked... what processors are in these two machines?
Are they 64 bit processors?
Have you run the W10 compatibility program?

Reaction score
Hi Tim

Wooooppppsss I left that out sorry...Yes I have run that and both computers passed the test they can run the 64 bit versions. They are both Compatible.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I guess we are at the end of any ideas on this,

Thanx. Gunny

Ask a Question