Win10/1903 Headphone won't work

Reaction score
Headphone do not work. Have tried everything I have found online.
Device manager realtek uninstall and reinstall driver
Device manager realtek update driver
Control Panel troubleshoot audio/sound
Sound properties enable, and right click to show all

Nothing works, two laptops both the same Headphones will not work

Any suggestions. Online says a known Windows 10 Problem,

Reaction score
Obvious question, some Notebooks are not as plainly marked as to headphone or microphone as others? Next question, have you tried external speakers [same as on Desktops] to verify the ports work? Have you tried the headphones on a different computer? Also, there's at least 2 ways to control volume, one is hardware using an Fn+another key, the Windows Volume Control and perhaps software specific to the hardware.

Reaction score
Questions I might ask, what type of system, what model of headphones and wired or Bluetooth? Since it is a Realtek audio, does anything happen when you plug in the external headphones?

Reaction score
Obvious question, some Notebooks are not as plainly marked as to headphone or microphone as others? Next question, have you tried external speakers [same as on Desktops] to verify the ports work? Have you tried the headphones on a different computer? Also, there's at least 2 ways to control volume, one is hardware using an Fn+another key, the Windows Volume Control and perhaps software specific to the hardware.
Have two laptops, HP ENVY and a Dell Inspiron, both Win 10, tried two different sets of headphones and they do not work on either.

Reaction score
Questions I might ask, what type of system, what model of headphones and wired or Bluetooth? Since it is a Realtek audio, does anything happen when you plug in the external headphones?
Hard wired not bluetooth. Nothing happens when the headphones are plugged in. Volume works on both the HP ENVY, and the Dell Inspiron, but nothing on either laptop with the headphones, tried two different sets of headphones, neither work. The headphones work on my old HP ENVY Win 7 Laptop.

Reaction score
Have two laptops, HP ENVY and a Dell Inspiron, both Win 10, tried two different sets of headphones and they do not work on either.
I just checked my Dell Vostro 1510 and HP 15 g029 [doesn't show a model name] and the headset works fine on them.

Reaction score
I don't know about the HP but I have quite a bit of experience with the Dells, at least the newer ones. Does it have the single audio port and are you not using an add on connector to plug in the headset? What model is the Dell and please give the full model number.

I was going over the operation of my system before I suggested anything and my system was not working correctly either. The Waves User Interface would pop up but would not allow me to select the headset. It did change to the headset and it worked, in a way.

So I checked the Dell site and downloaded and installed a new driver. That has corrected the Waves popup and I can now select the correct playback device. In order to do the new install, I download the new driver then go offline. I uninstall the Realtek Sound device and select the check box to uninstall all drivers. I then install the new driver and when it finishes the install, reboot then go back online.

I am currently seeing quite a bit of static in my sound playback which seems to be tied to manipulating windows on the desktop. Resizing or opening and closing many of the windows, will give an immediate static which is not acceptable during music playback.

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone for all the help/

Feeling embarrassed and pretty stupid at the moment.

Not sure if it is because both the HP and Dell are new laptops, or the plug in port has changed to make a better connection.

I hated to force the plug into the port, but pushed very hard and low and behold it plugged in all the way, earbuds works on both computers, very simple but stupid mistake, just being cautious and did not want to break anything on the computers.

Makes me wonder if the port has been tightened up on newer computers or if it is just a tighter fit for a better connection.

Again thanks and I hope this helps someone else with the same issue.

Ask a Question