How to download win10 update files on an external drive?

Reaction score
I own a small laptop with a very small hard disk, and it came with windows 10. I can't update it, because the hard drive has no space, but I installed a large removable media card. Is there a way to tell windows to download to a drive D rather than the default drive C? there must be a way in the registry, but I don't know. please help

Reaction score
Media card should be formatted NTFS and be visible in Disk Management as drive D.

Try this. File explorer. Downloads. Properties. Location. Set that onto D: i.e D:/downloads Then reboot.

If you have some files in there I think it will move them but it has been a few years since I did it.

Anyway any downloads should then go to your media card

Reaction score
Another way I have used is in Settings, Update and Security, then rather than Check for updates scroll down a bit to Learn more. Open that and one can get the downloads for Offline install, specify where to save them. Then close everything and run the file/s desired.

EDIT: forgot to mention, locate the Windows Update Catalog and open it once you know which you need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Media card should be formatted NTFS and be visible in Disk Management as drive D.

Try this. File explorer. Downloads. Properties. Location. Set that onto D: i.e D:/downloads Then reboot.

If you have some files in there I think it will move them but it has been a few years since I did it.

Anyway any downloads should then go to your media card
Hello and thanks for the suggestion. I did that and made D:\ default for downloads, but I don't think that the windows updates go there. I see a 'windows update assistant' that must be receiving and saving files. Strangely I also have no windows update button.
This small laptop is a backup that I throw in my suitcase and use if something else goes wrong. I could leave it without updates, but every time I start it, it tries to download updates and then has no space (disk is 23 gigs). It's a hassle until I stop it. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
No they wouldn't. the suggestion would only create an alternative download space - for normal , manual downloads. Work through Bighorn's suggestion.

Reaction score
Another way I have used is in Settings, Update and Security, then rather than Check for updates scroll down a bit to Learn more. Open that and one can get the downloads for Offline install, specify where to save them. Then close everything and run the file/s desired.

EDIT: forgot to mention, locate the Windows Update Catalog and open it once you know which you need.
View attachment 10022
hello and thanks for the reply. This is a very small laptop bought in europe, of 23 G hard drive, that should not have windows 10. It seems to have an early or pared down version and the entire windows 10 system must be replaced, but there is no space to put the files. Strangely I have no windows update button, so I can't see what updates exist.
I use it rarely, put in my suitcase and use if something else goes wrong. I could leave it without updates, but every time I start it, it tries to download updates and then has no space. It's a hassle until I stop it. Any further advice on how to download the files to drive D would be appreciated.

Reaction score
No they wouldn't. the suggestion would only create an alternative download space - for normal , manual downloads. Work through Bighorn's suggestion.
I thought that perhaps the registry has a key about where to put the windows 10 update files. Is that possible?

Reaction score
hello and thanks for the reply. This is a very small laptop bought in europe, of 23 G hard drive, that should not have windows 10. It seems to have an early or pared down version and the entire windows 10 system must be replaced, but there is no space to put the files. Strangely I have no windows update button, so I can't see what updates exist.
I use it rarely, put in my suitcase and use if something else goes wrong. I could leave it without updates, but every time I start it, it tries to download updates and then has no space. It's a hassle until I stop it. Any further advice on how to download the files to drive D would be appreciated.
thanks for taking the time to reply, I don't know what I need because I don't have a regular windows update button. I will keep trying.

Reaction score
I thought that perhaps the registry has a key about where to put the windows 10 update files. Is that possible?
I dont think you are going to get anywhere, whatever you try, keeping automatic updates rolling on a Hard disk of that size.
And keep in mind, also, that, even if you succeed, you will not find it possible to try any further Software.

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the suggestion. I did that and made D:\ default for downloads, but I don't think that the windows updates go there. I see a 'windows update assistant' that must be receiving and saving files. Strangely I also have no windows update button.
This small laptop is a backup that I throw in my suitcase and use if something else goes wrong. I could leave it without updates, but every time I start it, it tries to download updates and then has no space (disk is 23 gigs). It's a hassle until I stop it. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Actually, the "Update Assistant" is a small program that helps you update Windows. You can double-click it or download and run a fresh copy from here. If you are asked where you wish to save the updates, select the media card.

Ben

Reaction score
If I understand the op correctly, he wants to REdirect windows 10 updates, not ordinary daily choice downloads. Apart from the possible use of Bighorn's suggestion, I don't think it can be done in the default way, with an HD that size.

Reaction score
This is a very small laptop bought in europe, of 23 G hard drive, that should not have windows 10. It seems to have an early or pared down version and the entire windows 10 system must be replaced, but there is no space to put the files. Strangely I have no windows update button, so I can't see what updates exist.
There's a couple of things come to mind about the machine, one is having been bought in Europe it may have the N version of Windows [some things left out due to legal issues] and most of those type computers/tablets came with 32GB SSD type storage and either 1GB or 2GB RAM. I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 with the same issue but I caught it on an unannounced special in a store for half-price at $137USD. I put a 64GB MicroSDXC in it and when updating plug in a USB Thumb drive of 8GB or more. Some tablets running Android or Chrome may have only 16GB storage.

Clicking Start, Settings should get you to the Update and Security at the bottom of the list. There used to be a separate button in the Control Panel but is no longer there.

Ask a Question