Win10 stopped access to my Thecus NAS from WinXP

Reaction score
For many years my Thecus NAS N5550 was the server to my two winXP machines. After connecting a Win10 laptop to the NAS I totally lost visibility of the NAS from both WinXP machines. The error I get is :

"No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can handle" (WHICH durn computer)

Fiddling with network services on the NAS made the NAS visible again in the WinXP File Explores, but not the shared folders.. Access through a browser to the management screen is still OK, and the WinXP machines can still see a WD MyCloud network attached HDD.

I also tried fiddling with which versions of SMB are allowed on the NAS as I have a vague recollection of a version of this being discontinued. (possibly a red herring) I have reached my limit as to how far I dare tinker

Looking forward to any help on this.

FINALLY a big thank you to all who helped some years ago rolling back a new win7 machine to XP, loads of arcane device numbers missing drivers and so on. I managed to lose track as to which forum helped me.

Ask a Question