SOLVED Win11 download

Reaction score
Microsoft keeps badgering me to download Win11at the moment. Do I have or will they take the free version away before Win10 ends?.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
will they take the free version away before Win10 ends?.
I must admit.... I'm about as good at predicting Microsoft's future behavior as I am at picking winning lotto tickets.
AND
I wouldn't get overly concerned, as you are likely to hear of any such move, well in advance of it actually happening.

As far as the "badgering" you might have to just get used to it.
I remember a micro cottage industry, grew up around resisting the upgrade to 10. People were downloading things left and right to dismiss the annoying notifications and actually prevent the download and installation.
Was fascinating to watch and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar came down the lane soon.

Reaction score
It is a pain I know and no one really knows if microsoft are to allow laptops and pc's which are allowed now to download Eleven..I'll stick it out and wait to see what happens... Thanks

Reaction score
I read somewhere that by the spring you will have to positively refuse Win11 on the monthly upgrade or you'll just get it.
At the moment you can just ignore it.
Both my eligible machines have W 11, just my laptop which doesn't have TPM is still on W10

Reaction score
My laptop isn't W11 ready or can take it Tom, which is a waste. Did anything change with what you've got on your machines or was it smooth?.

Reaction score
I have got win11 for abt 2 months, but recently, my lap getting a little bit lagged, and I thinks it is because of this win11. Anw, I havent found out the way to fix it :(

Reaction score
MS are offering a choice, as you may know. They have published a fix, whish, with a fresh install only, bypasses the need for the TPM criteria..etc.
I have installed it on three incompatible Laptops, all f which are running 100% --so far!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
My laptop isn't W11 ready or can take it Tom, which is a waste. Did anything change with what you've got on your machines or was it smooth?.
Both my machines with W11 are desktops with newish motherboards, I5 processors and built in TPM
My Lenovo laptop is also an I5 but it is an early I5, I bought it used nearly 8 years ago and there is no TPM. And as most of my friends are on W10 there is some use on keeping it on W10 until it dies of old age.

The W11 installs on my desktops was totally smooth. One is on production W11 and the other on the Dev channel.

Reaction score
My laptop is lenovo and lags on W10, so W11 would probably finish it off. Is it a straight install or would you lose all your files and photos and games?.

Reaction score
My Lenovo Ideapad had an I5, 500GB spinner, 4Gb memory and Windows 8 when I bought it 2nd hand in spring 2015,
off lease I suspect.

Immediately upgraded to W8+ or whatever it was called and a few months later to W10 that was back when the W10 insider build had a number like 1500.
It worked fine with fewer than other peoples number of W10 bugs. Don't know why, probably because I did not use Windows mail and did use defender as my AV. I also use Chrome as my default browser.

I replaced the spinner with a 256Gb SSD and added a 128Gb ssd in the M2 socket...which I didn't know it had until I took the cover off.
Also upgraded the memory to 12Gb by adding an 8Gb SDram.
I did not replace the Intel lan/wifi/blutooth card whic was also in an M2 socket...probably should have done to get 5Ghz Wifi.

I think it is as fast as any other I5 of the vintage (1.8GHz turbo to 2.2 Ghz)

When W11 first came out I put the Lenovo into the Insider program and it downloaded W11 and ran fine, but a couple of weeks later it would not do updates for the usual reasons, No TPM and no secure boot. I could have fiddled around and reloaded the OS, re partitioned the disk for secure boot and then fiddled with the registry for TPM. But as I had two good W11 desktops I just reloaded the Lenovo with W10.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My laptop is lenovo and lags on W10, so W11 would probably finish it off. Is it a straight install or would you lose all your files and photos and games?.
I believe a fresh clean install so back up all your stuff first. It should run better at first at least, than your W10.

I have It installed on 2 incompatible desktops and an incompatible lappy, older than Tim’s, that also had an upgrade to an SSD and doubled the ram.
It runs fine but is less than remarkable than I thought.

Reaction score
I believe a fresh clean install so back up all your stuff first. It should run better at first at least, than your W10.
It had a fresh install from the microsoft website, but I'm afraid that's what made it worse. I only use it to browse and shop and it would be sad to lose it.

Reaction score
One of my Desktops turn a turn for something, maybe good or maybe bad. I've had it on the Insider Preview since it first started as the Technical Preview and Dev channel when it was renamed. Couple months ago in checking for an update Windows decided to Upgrade to the RTM of Win11 but still says it is not supported. I think I got kicked out of IP but it is not giving any errors, guess I'll rebuild back to Win10 IP next year.

Reaction score
I have both Windows 10 and Windows 11 dual booting on the same SSD. I find this allows me to keep in touch with Windows 11 development whilst still using Windows 10 as my 'production' system. It also means that I will be able to choose the point at which I switch to Windows 11 and can do so just by changing the default OS in the boot loader.

Ask a Question