SOLVED Outlook keeps downloading old email.

Reaction score
I have Outlook 365 on my desktop and all is well. I just tried to install Outlook 365 on my laptop and I have not been so fortunate. The new installation downloads old emails from my server, I delete them (move to trash), empty the trash, and Outlook downloads them again. I also tried to install the Outlook app from the PlayStore on my Android phone and it has a similar problem. The phone stops at 500 old emails and my laptop stops at 2,000 old emails. Everything is as current as I can get it. I do leave my emails on the server and pay to do so for business purposes and the ability to find them many months later. On my desktop it is not a problem, on the other two installations it seems to be a problem. The new installations do receive new email and bump off the oldest email maintaining 500 on the phone and 2000 on the laptop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically this behavior is dictated on the client side which requires you to use the web interface to adjust the settings.
Here's an example of the Gmail settings for POP enabled

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately Outlook does not have such settings. I checked with my domain provider who confirmed that and did not know of a work around. I did notice that I am able to delete emails and put them in the "Deleted" folder. It is only when I empty the Deleted folder that the program then downloads old emails again until it reaches 500.

Reaction score
If you examine the online Outlook, under the settings - Sync email, you will find most of the items to which trouble refers.
You may also have forwarding of all mail in the same settings? That could mean that all the ´"unread´ mail would constantly be forwarded.

Ask a Question