Windows 10 Backups

Reaction score
i have been talking about doing backup and using a nas setup, but i have not yet got the equipment for it, but i have 2 hard drives and the parts to connect them to my pc's. i have a 500gb drive on both pc's and i have a 250gb and 150gb backup drives.

what i have to figure out is how to get the backups to overwrite when i do a backup. i have when thru the setup that someone sent me for selecting the files and time etc. but when the backup runs it fills half the drive and the next time it stops telling me the drive has no space for the next backup.

so is there a setting i'm missing? thanks

Reaction score
I don't know but... I would like enough backup space to not have to delete the last backup until the new one is written and checked.
That might mean the a cheap 2Tb drive and the free Macrium Reflect could be in your future. Macrium lets you do full backups or incrementals and can automatically delete old backups.

I have an ancient NAS ( Dlink with open source software) but for backup I have a cheap 2Tb in a USB enclosure and do full backups every 2 weeks and incrementals every other day in between.

Reaction score
If you backups are that large, then you have to DELETE the 1st Backup to do the 2nd backup or you might set to do incremental backup.
depends on which backup program you are using. as to how you set this up.
Acronis setup - i recommend Acronis since it seems to have the best compression... and is easier to use by Default.
1578342748624.png

Macrium Reflect
1578342939823.png
several others have the same ability and you would need to use the one best suited to you and your needs..

Reaction score
thanks i'm using windows for doing the backup's. so i just about fill both drives on ther respective pc's. that is why i was asking if windows just wrote over the drive as needed. if not then i will need to delete the files every time i do a backup. was looking to save that job. thanks

Reaction score
Acronis will do this - if you set it properly. it does a full then incremental as you select and it will then auto clean up if you so select. it is almost caveman proof.

Reaction score
thanks i'm using windows for doing the backup's. so i just about fill both drives on ther respective pc's. that is why i was asking if windows just wrote over the drive as needed. if not then i will need to delete the files every time i do a backup. was looking to save that job. thanks
Windows backup are mostly a lot of bunk. sample my C: = 88.5 GB and Acronis compress Full backup to 38.8 GB

Reaction score
i will try the free program. and see how it works. at one time i had easeus but lost that when my thumb drive failed. now easeus is not free anymore.

Reaction score
Many programs today are at a reduced $$ so as to make them worth, also some Beta Testers get Full programs FREE.
I do have a Windows PE for Acronis 2020 -20700. Note this is not a Install GUI it is a bootable USB Window PE of an older version which works very well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
so i downloaded the so called free amoei backup manager program, and that made me do a restore. go figure. the partition manger was good but the backup program was not free and when i tried to delete it it messed up my pc. good thing i had a restore point for today. so now to look into something else.

Reaction score
yes, but then i never recommended AOEMI. usually they have there own uninstall or program&features in Windows control panel but they leave lots of JUNK/trash... i use IOBits uninstaller (Free) or RevoUninstaller... also Yamisoft Windows 10 manager(Free) does a very good job.

Reaction score
your program is not free and for what i need to do it really is not worth paying money just to do backup. the aomei partition manager is a good program. however when i did an uninstall for the backup it took the partition program out also. so might be they get tangled in there setups.
i have corbin set to do an auto backup at 7pm. so i will see how it works. and then i will set it for another one after it finishes to see if it just checks for any pc changes to add to the backup. years ago i had a program that did that but now after my thumb drive failed that is gone. i stuck the thumb drive in my modem to see if it would be recognised and run as a network backup drive and it must have got encrypted.

anyway after i run the test i will let you know. thanks

Reaction score
I did not say Revo was Free but IOBits (FREE) and Win10manager has a FREE 30 day trial. ...

Reaction score
I add Paragon to that list.. and do use all 3 weekly and just before a Windows upgrade

Reaction score
ok i got corbin for now and i set it up and if did backup the files i picked. then i did another one set for 1 hr. later and it did that also. but i have to figure out how to set it so it will only back up the new items. it is there i have to find it. they have a forum and i'm asking that now. if it works then i'm set. to bad windows did not do this. seems the have automatic backups and there should be a way to have it just backup what ever changed. years ago it do it. not anymore. thanks

Reaction score
i have this program and tested it and it seems to be working. time is going to tell. the first run it does a full backup of the user folder, not the system. then i have it set for differential backups that only backup what changed. i tested it by adding some photos and it worked. now i will test it for a few weeks by having a calendar remind me to plug in the usb drive. and see if it works then. i also tested it to see what happened when i forgot to hook up the usb drive and it started seen the drive missing and shut down, it left a message telling me the drive was missing and the pc still ran. i have more testing and setting it to do what i need. then i should be set. to bad windows fails on this. thanks

Ask a Question