Creating backups

Reaction score
Hi, this may be in the wrong section, but anyway. I have created a recovery drive using Win 10 but when it asked me if I wanted to create a system repair disc I had to say no since i couldn't find my blank discs anywhere. So my question is, can I create a system repair disc later, and still use it with the recovery drive I've created, or do they have to be created simultaneously? Sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question, but I find issues relating to operating systems really difficult. Thanks.

Reaction score
Gravematter You can create a system repair disk anytime, they are always handy to have in your toolbox. System repair discs are used to repair Windows if a serious error occurs or if you’re unable to boot the computer. You can also boot from your Win 10 install media disk.

Reaction score
Thanks. So it doesn't matter when I created the recovery drive, and the restore disc will be able to recognise it?

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm usually OK with software and finding fixes online, but trying to understand operating systems, boot, backups etc really confuses me. OK. I shall make a restore disc tomorrow. Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm usually OK with software and finding fixes online, but trying to understand operating systems, boot, backups etc really confuses me. OK. I shall make a restore disc tomorrow. Thanks very much!

Good!
With Win 10 and update problems that seem to appear regularly after every update, It would be wise to create regular disk images of your HD; and also create regular (weekly) manual restore points. Then at least you have something to back you up. Just in case...

Reaction score
Hi,

System repair discs work in tandem with with the legacy Win 7 recovery option in the Win 10 Control panel.

You don't need a system repair disc if you created a Win 10 USB recovery drive. Having a correlated to the current installed build Win 10 installation USB stick will also provide the same umbrella. The recovery discs are redundant. You can perform all recovery and repair options with a USB recovery drive or a matched Win 10 installation USB stick.

System images are great and should be created to provide an extra layer of protection. BTW, you can restore images using either media and again, don't need a sytem repair disc.

Jaco

Reaction score
jaco2x4 That is assuming users have the USB recovery drive or a Win 10 ISO install media. Many users opted or were forced to use the MS upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and use the USB Recovery drive option and the installation media option for all repair, recovery, and Windows system image restoration processes. I also use Paragon disk imaging software as an additional backup just in case Microsoft's recovery and imaging solutions fail.

I am not saying the repair disc option is not good but only that it is one of three options available. It is a Legacy option which, BTW, did not work for me when using Win 7 on UEFI. I lost faith in the system repair disc option and have not used it since building UEFI systems.

You don't need a system repair disc if you have Microsoft: USB recovery or a USB Windows 10 install stick.

I think the OP may be using the term "Recovery Drive" instead of "System Image". When you create a system image in the Win 7 Backup and Restore applet in Control Panel a prompt asks if you want to create a system repair disc. The USB Recovery Drive creation process is not related to the above system image creation process but the USB Recovery Drive can be used to restore the system image created there.

Jaco

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi jaco.
I understand what your saying and appreciate your assistance/input.
However, the original poster (Gravematter) was asking {I have created a recovery drive using Win 10 but when it asked me if I wanted to create a system repair disc I had to say no since i couldn't find my blank discs anywhere. So my question is, can I create a system repair disc later, and still use it with the recovery drive I've created, or do they have to be created simultaneously}

Cheers!

Reaction score
You don't have to create them simultaneously. It asks you after creating system image just because you may need it in repairing or restoring system. You can create it later before the system fails.

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

I got it.

Gravematter can make this disc anytime at his or her choosing.

Just trying to provide other options to help users solve recovery problems.

Please test the system repair CD/DVD to ensure you can boot to it and find the system image created on external media or network drive. Hopefully Microsoft updated the Windows 10 system repair disc function so it works on UEFI/GPT systems.

I have successfully tested and restored Microsoft system images on UEFI PC's using Microsoft USB Recovery and Microsoft USB Installation media.

Jaco

Last edited:

Ask a Question