Creating a boot image, capture image, and install image with WDS

Creating a boot image, capture image, and install image with WDS

Mog

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Mog

Reaction score
Thank you! I had to stop because I reached my limit with uploading pictures, so I wasn't able to create a part for creating install images haha :p.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've increased the max images per post to 50, from 25 now :D.

Nad

Reaction score
Mog, were you able to finish you posts with a 'how to capture an image'? Thanks!

Reaction score
Issue with workgroup WDS deployment. OOBE not the answer.
I Need to create a WDS Boot and Install.wim from a laptop that's configured just the way we want it. having to run sysprep kind of ruins that and seems to be a backward step. Creates more work. I understand how important it may be to remove SID etc but sure would like to find a workaround.
Theses are laptops not on the domain with an Admin account and 1 user account. After imaging with clonezilla now we just log into admin and modify user name to who it's going to and a few updates, etc.
Any suggestions on what I'm missing? How can I capture this image either over the network via WDS or to a USB thumb drive then copy to my WDS Server.
These are current 2020 Win 10 laptop and windows server 2016. I have WDS installed and configured off domain and PXE booting to it is working. I have a generic Windows image on there and it would install fine but it's not the image we want or need.
All the docs I've read aren't specific enough to my scenario.

Reaction score
I failed to mention this doesn't have to be device independent. This about 200+ Dell laptops of the exact same model that need imaging.
Thanks in advance for any input or links that may help.

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes it definitely was worth a look and useful but it only creates only a single .wim file. WDS seems to require boot.wim and install.wim for each corresponding folder to create a deployment. Been learning more on and just read Active Directory was a requirement to run WDS? It's seems to work just find on my home network workgroup. Sorry getting off topic.

Ask a Question