Help with creating a system image backup

Reaction score
I'm looking for help to create a system image backup on my 64GB usb drive. The problem is that I have a lot of games that takes a lot of space. I want to create a system image backup without the games so I can put it on my 64GB usb drive. I also want the system backup image to be one file, instead of multiple files.

Reaction score
I would suggest you use Macrium Reflect Free
64 GB does not sound like a lot for a C:\ drive? You would just have to try it and see if the compression will work.
So If all you want is a partition Image you can do that however it won't help you with a crashed drive replacement or for any issues that prevent you from booting?
You really need a larger back up external drive. Or reduce the amount of data on that drive.
My 512GB SSD with 233 GB of dat is imaging at 74 GB
I personally use WD Passport 4 TB external USB 3.0, I think this drive cost me right at $100 1TB and 2TB drives are far less and available just about everywhere.
For drive images you can't pick and choose what data you want to include. Its an Image of your drive. That you can restore to a crashed windows or replacement drive.
Will defiantly save you sooner or later.

Reaction score
You could purchase a second 64 GB USB. Back up or copy the games over to the USB, then delete the games from your H.D. On the second USB you can then create a system image of C: your H.D. providing it's less than 64GB. Personally, the best solution is what @Clintlgm suggested.

Reaction score
I took the 450Gb spinner out of my Laptop, replaced it with a 256GB SSD. Put the spinner into a USB 3 container and use Macrium to backup onto it.

Reaction score
I would suggest you use Macrium Reflect Free
64 GB does not sound like a lot for a C:\ drive? You would just have to try it and see if the compression will work.
So If all you want is a partition Image you can do that however it won't help you with a crashed drive replacement or for any issues that prevent you from booting?
You really need a larger back up external drive. Or reduce the amount of data on that drive.
My 512GB SSD with 233 GB of dat is imaging at 74 GB
I personally use WD Passport 4 TB external USB 3.0, I think this drive cost me right at $100 1TB and 2TB drives are far less and available just about everywhere.
For drive images you can't pick and choose what data you want to include. Its an Image of your drive. That you can restore to a crashed windows or replacement drive.
Will defiantly save you sooner or later.

Would it work if I simply uninstalled my games, took a backup on my USB drive and then installed the games again? Because its my games that takes up a lot of space.

Reaction score
You could purchase a second 64 GB USB. Back up or copy the games over to the USB, then delete the games from your H.D. On the second USB you can then create a system image of C: your H.D. providing it's less than 64GB. Personally, the best solution is what @Clintlgm suggested.

Sorry, didn't catch this reply when I posted. Will try this.

Reaction score
Would it work if I simply uninstalled my games, took a backup on my USB drive and then installed the games again? Because its my games that takes up a lot of space.
I guess so, I usually create a Image once I have Windows installed and updated. then another Image after I have all my basic software installed. So far I have not had to go all the way back that far but I'm ready. The only problem with uninstalling a lot of programs before making an image is, your likely to break your windows with all that uninstalling going on. I guess I would after all that uninstalling I would Run Windows updates that might replace some of the missing file. then again it might work out just fine for you.

Ask a Question