Windows 10 Built In Virus Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Windows Defender may not be the best, but it's very good and believe me, Microsoft does care that your computer is protected. If Defender catches "95%" and another catches "99%", ask yourself what is your risk of encountering any of these viruses? Note that AV software requires special privileges, so the AV software itself presents another attack surface! Yes, you need to run AV software, so I choose Defender because I'm less worried that MS will make a mistake - many will disagree.
Also I have read that most attacks are made thru web browser (yep, that email with a link is a web browser attack) and simply changing the account privilege from admin to normal power user can block 99%. When you do that, don't forget to create another account that does have admin privileges and be sure to remember the password for it!

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the built in anti-virus software that comes with 10 is any good? Thanks!
Gotta agree with the others. And the most refreshing part of all is that, the paid versions do things at the end of the subscription to make you believe that you have to have their software. I can't deal with that. McAfee, and Norton, will wear you out until you either uninstall them from the registry depth, or, re-up, since you can't tell that it's them. I've used Windows since it was Microsoft Security Essentials. And the quickest fix for all of the systems I've serviced is to get rid of 3rd party security protocols. I guess in the long run, it's personal. And personally, I prefer Defender and Malwarebytes for my security.

Reaction score
I've used Norton Security for many years, I've never had a security issue on any computer. It never seems to impact performance although I don't watch that carefully, it does other things such as "improving performance" - I've never understood what that does. It turns off Defender and won't allow it back on. My only issue with Norton is I really don't know if it is fully updated, if I open it and manually run LiveUpdate it always seems to find updates (I just ran it and it found 6) and yet when I ask them they tell me it updates every day, I don't see how that is possible when I always find updates to install. Norton seems expensive at around $80 per year.
Dude, Norton is the most invasive software I have ever seen, while pretending to be a protection. But, if you find satisfaction with it slowing your system down, and locking it up if you don't renew it before it expires, then, go for it. Every system I've had to "clean up" was under attack from Norton, McAfee, or AVG, honestly. They expire, and load the system up with malware, spyware, and other PUP's.

Just one man's opinion....

Reaction score
It is poor in comparison, I've been monitoring security testing sites on a monthly basis over the last 7 years and Windows Defender ALWAYS hits almost rock bottom for resource usage (big impact on your system), its detection is mediocre.. the best Anti-Virus programs are typically Bit-Defender, Kaspersky and Avira, they all have free versions too which usually just have fewer features, Norton is good too, it no longer hogs your system like it used to and has a good detection ratio, its my preference as I love the user interface and options available to me (such as the charts showing all installs, detections etc etc over time), but if I didn't use that then I would use Bit-Defender.

If your wanting to use a 3rd party firewall then I would recommend Comodo, its a solid performer and is free

for 3rd party on-demand scanners use MalwareBytes, Emsisoft and SuperAnti-Spyware

you cant go wrong with those installed

To each his own. In my experience, the ones you named..., EVERY one you named, was so invasive, and worries you to no end with "extras" that you really don't need. But like I said, to each his own:oops::oops::oops:….

Reaction score
Windows defender, a weekly scan with malwarebytes, and common sense. That's all that's needed. Period. And to those running a 3rd party AV with windows defender. The reason they work well together is windows defender is disabled when you install 3rd party anti virus. You can still run scans with it, but it's background process is disabled.

Yep, that's how it's designed. It doesn't let you screw things up by running two security systems. The others, load you up, and will turn your head into a cue ball, from pulling your hair out trying to make them work. Defender just stays dormant, until you need it.

Reaction score
Before you download Kaspersky and install it - or if you all ready use it - I'd highly recommend you read this article!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...y-users-online-millions-at-risk/#7a61eb66ba34

And you may want to do some research into the other antivirus apps out there. A number of them recently have been exposed for monitoring your browser searches and history - I'd suggest that is highly invasive of your privacy and hackers who could exploit these tactics could cause you one heck of a headache if they get their hands on that data themselves.
BINGO!!!!

Reaction score
Having always prefered 'add-on' security products from the likes of Norton, Kaspersky, ESET, I've spent a pretty penny over the years protecting my computer and these softwares often had flashy interfaces and features I rarely used or which were too complex for the average user. After upgrading to Windows 10 however I decided to try the 'in-built' security protection and the difference in performance is unparalleled, you don't even notice the software is running. The same cannot be said for many of the 'add-on' security products which often alerted me with annoying pop-ups about random events which then required user intervention. The offerings from Microsoft are purfectly adequate in my opionion and as you don't pay an annual fee for the latest version it saves money too! Come to think of it, I've been using Windows 10 and it's 'in-built' security since the product was first launched back in 2015 and so far I've had no viruses or infections of any sort which speaks for itself really.

Reaction score
I prefer Kaspersky, Great Antivirus App..
You can even get a free version:
Kaspersky Free <'((<
BWA-HA-HA-HA!!! The fox guarding the henhouse. Kapersky has some apps that scan your system, and make finding certain infectious software But as a standalone "security" product, I don't think so! The Russians in enough stuff now that I ain't giving them carte blanc.:mad:o_O:eek:

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the built in anti-virus software that comes with 10 is any good? Thanks!
I have used no other security program for over 3 years and had absolutely no problem. I am very pleased with the performance. Matter of fact, I am very impressed with all functions of Windows 10 Pro.

Reaction score
BWA-HA-HA-HA!!! The fox guarding the henhouse. Kapersky has some apps that scan your system, and make finding certain infectious software But as a standalone "security" product, I don't think so! The Russians in enough stuff now that I ain't giving them carte blanc.:mad:o_O:eek:
Americans are subject to the most intensive propaganda of any country on earth. This is done to manufacture consent for war, legislation to take away your freedoms, etc... Kaspersky=Communism, Reds under the bed! lol The new McCarthyism. How Israel and its partisans work to censor the Internet

Reaction score
"
Kaspersky was born on 4 October 1965[2][3] in Novorossiysk, Russia.[4][5] He grew up near Moscow,[3] where he moved at age nine.[6] His father was an engineer and his mother a historical archivist.[6][5] As a child he developed an early interest in math[7][8] and technology.[9] He spent his free time reading math books and won second place in a math competition[3] at age 14.[5] When he was fourteen, Kaspersky began attending A.N. Kolmogorov boarding school, which is run by Moscow University and specializes in math.[7][9][10] He was also a member of the youth division of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.[6][a]
At the age of 16, Kaspersky entered a five-year program with The Technical Faculty of the KGB Higher School,[15] which prepared intelligence officers for the Russian military and KGB.[7][8] He graduated in 1987[15] with a degree in mathematical engineering and computer technology.[4][8] After graduating college, Kaspersky served the Soviet military intelligence service [6] as a software engineer.[2][10] He met his first wife Natalya Kaspersky at Severskoye, a KGB vacation resort, in 1987.[2]"

To each his own, bruh....

Reaction score
OMG! You got that from Wikipedia! Are you joking? Wikipedia used to be great for factual information but it's now a full-on propaganda machine that most people avoid nowadays for that very reason. I even sent you the link to explain how they do it? You didn't read it through, did you! I'm not trying to start an argument here I'm just trying to get the facts straight about Israeli intelligence and their manipulation of the American people.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No argument, and yes, that was Wikipedia. But what I posted is what is provable facts. Not "alternative" facts, provable facts. It's all in his bio. So, like I said, to each his own. You like it, I love it. But I'll never trust it. I'll never trust anyone who has a KGB history..., period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question