SOLVED Windows 10 Forum Design

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So there is no option(s) for different themes anymore?

There shouldn't be a change as to what's available, it's just a different way of selecting the wide/dark theme (see post #16). Did you have something different selected previously?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Ah...I see. I just remember that there used to be a few theme options at the bottom of the page.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah...I see. I just remember that there used to be a few theme options at the bottom of the page.
Yeah, they've moved to the preferences page now, as it means we're technically only using 1 theme (which means that updating the template with bugfixes is twice as fast :D). All of the options are just little CSS tweaks to change how the original looks - a super-simple, but effective way to do it.

Reaction score
So there is no option(s) for different themes anymore?
There is this
Capture.JPG

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Could the dark theme have more contrast please, like the screenshot above of the pop up, perhaps?
Currently the dark theme, what I set shortly after joining, the contrast between background and date, post count and sub-heading text is really close, hard to read even ;)

I already goofed up and @Trouble :D pointed out I was necro posting.

Also the post rich test editor has no code tags, though forums recognizes them. can that be added?
On that note theres no quote option, this would make it easier to reply to a specific sections.

Another thing, the Articles, I would like to improve some existing ones (can regular users edit existing articles? And add some more that I cant see... I will get to that.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

I'll see if I can tweak the contrast a little further if there are parts of the page that are hard to read - I'll set my theme to dark and see how it looks :).

With regard to the code tags, they should be there - but they're under the "insert" sub-menu (between the film strip and save icons).

The articles aren't set up to be edited by anyone, as they'd get taken over by spammers pushing their software - but if you reply to the comments threads on ones that could do with an update, and it'll notify the article creator (who can edit articles at any time). I'll spotted one that you made on one of the articles, I'm just about to have a read of that thread now :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I should also mention, if you want to write or create your own articles, you can post them in the most relevant forum and I'll figure out a way to convert it to work in the article section (we could do this on the old forum, but I've not set it up here yet).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've made quite a number of bugfixes to the dark theme - so it should work a little better :). Hope that helps, @Data.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums

Thank you :)

I've made quite a number of bugfixes to the dark theme - so it should work a little better :). Hope that helps

Its slightly better, I think all grey text over grey background could benefit of 20 ticks darker as some the contrast is not ideal, even the grey text on blue background for instance could be more legible?
darker.PNG darker2.PNG darker3.PNG

;)

The articles aren't set up to be edited by anyone, as they'd get taken over by spammers pushing their software - but if you reply to the comments threads on ones that could do with an update, and it'll notify the article creator (who can edit articles at any time). I'll spotted one that you made on one of the articles, I'm just about to have a read of that thread now

That is a fair comment. Spammers :eek:

I still have not figured out how to post an article in any case, and perhaps you would consider in future adding a special group of users that could edit any article, something where users in would need to be vetted by yourself or a moderator.

I am getting used to the quote/code tags etc., it works in some ways similar to GitHub despite the obvious differences.

I was wondering what the thoughts are regarding grouping articles under main topics?

Good forums software it is quite smooth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"you would consider in future adding a special group of users that could edit any article"
Not certain, but I believe the moderators can do that. That's enough.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think I can change the text much further, as it's more complex than meets the eye - the "dark" theme is a modification that runs on several different forums with different main theme colours, so I need to pick a single CSS override that works with them all. It's not really a supported theme, but one I created as someone e-mailed me a while ago about how the light theme was hard to read as they had eye problems - so I made a quick tweak to make it easier for them. The site is designed to be used with the default theme and the dark one is just there for people that find it uncomfortable to read.

For now, if you've got any articles, feel free to post them in the general discussion section or whichever other one looks most relevant. If we get a lot of user contributed articles, I can look at a better way to open up the articles system.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Ill be doing quite a few Articles (in the sense that what I can do) that I see missing and have benefited my issues and resolutions, questions etc.

As for forums, yes I use dark theme because its much easier on the eyes, I spend 18 hours a day on PC and am quite visually impared despite being a Graphics Designer and doing some development on the side.
I cant tolerate white themes for any amount of time that allows any productivity, and the cost is severe migraines that only cured with Imigran tablets (kill me right off, drains me of all energy) and being locked in dark room for 3 hours after taking pill.

I know right? positronic matrix overload, Geordi is miffed at all the extra maintenance and diagnostics.
Spot also throws a hissy fit and claws at the furniture.

I use https://userstyles.org/ lately (last 3 years), greasemonkey before etc. and was able to darken many intrawebs sites with that, if you give me the stylesheet I'll make a theme for this site :D or try at least since I prefer dark dark until a better option comes along :D.
Thanks you for listening to my groans. :)
livelongandproper-png.5189

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Bug with change vote poll button, dark theme (not tested white theme)
Unselected button text is invisible, selected is hard to read gold text over dark blue.

pollbutton.gif

Ask a Question