Windows 10 is unacceptably slow. Restoring Windows 7.

Reaction score
I upgraded my Thinkpad TP410 to Windows 10 on July 29. Have not yet been able to bring up my Chrome browser. Here's what happens typically: 7:40 pm, power on the laptop. Wait 5 full minutes for Wndows to load and get settled. 7:45, click the Chrome icon in my taskbar. 7:55, Chrome comes up with a white screen. 8:05, Chrome displays a warning mesg that the page is taking too long to load. and do I want to wait or kill. I wait. 30 seconds later, Chromes asks again, wait or kill. I wait. This continues for a while. Finally I say kill. Chrome says "Ah snap. Should I reload". I say reload. Several more minutes elapse. Once I did in fact see the initial custom splash screen. But most recently, I didn't. Just a continued white screen. Finally I quit Chrome. Something like 30 minutes has elapsed since I first powered on. Meanwhile, there's no indication at all about what is happening. Just a blasted disk activity light that blinks the whole time. So I power off, and even that takes 5 minutes before all the lights are off. (Note: Firefox comes up faster, but is still slower than molasses.)

Note I have 100Mb fiber optic to the house internet service. There's plenty of room on my hard drive -- 100s of Gb. I'm loading no other programs at startup (not intentionally anyway.)

Never had these kinds of delays before. So ...... I'm going back to Windows 7. Wish me luck. (yes, I did a system backup, and I do have backups of my personal files.)

Reaction score
I'd guess a bad network driver. The start up delay can be explained in that case by Windows wanting to do an update check at startup. If you are using WiFi disable the embedded adapter and plug in a known good dongle and see what happens. If you are using ethernet then check both Lenovo and the adapters site for a driver.

Ask a Question