Windows 10 Needs Serious Tweaking

Reaction score
Hope Microsoft can get things together before the 29th. My computer has been running pretty good with a wireless connection to the router but suddenly this evening and with no apparent reason it started dropping the connection. The network troubleshooter is unable to correct the problem and a reboot is necessary to get the connection back. A minute ago the connection broke and when I rebooted all I got was a black screen and had to use the reset button to reboot. The screen began to light up and then a BSOD popped up and the computer rebooted yet again. For the moment the connection is holding.

No idea what happened because nothing has been installed or changed. Why would a connection problem start for no apparent reason? This sucks.

Reaction score
That is my greatest concern with upgrading to Windows 10, and the one year timeline for getting it free.

Reaction score
It's still a beta but the final release date is rapidly approaching. People will not be happy if a bunch of niggling little issues start cropping up on their machines.

Reaction score
Today's problems. So far the internet connection is remaining constant don't know what happened to fix it. Woke computer from sleep mode this morning to a weird screen that was like looking out a window into a blinding snow storm. Had to reboot and the problem didn't return. Later I tried to open Paint Shop Pro X7 and got error that it couldn't open because vcomp110.dll was missing and to reinstall the program to correct the problem. Downloaded a fresh copy, tried to install it and got a version incompatibility error. Uninstalled the program and installed it again from the fresh download. All went well till I tried to open it and the missing vcomp110.dll error came up and the program won't open. No idea at all what caused the .dll to go AWOL or MIA. A couple hours ago I woke the computer from sleep mode to a blue screen error file/boot/BCD 0x000014c and advising I would need an install disk to fix the problem. Booted up with my build 10130 .iso and tried the repair options but got a message that the problem couldn't be repaired. Was getting ready to use a system backup I'd made earlier today and the computer suddenly rebooted and no errors. No idea what happened to fix the blue screen error but the system is operational now. Paint Shop still won't open because of the missing .dll. Microsoft has a potload of work to do before the 29th.

Reaction score
Sounds like Paintshop, and possibly quite a few other software producers, need to do some serious work before the final release. That is why they have early editions. Drivers/Dlls must particularly address issues of compatibility.
Nothing new in the bugs being experienced at the moment. The only difference between this Windows and previous ones, is that the public has been widely exposed to the public.
Selected Beta testers of the past, went through the process anonymously. I was involved in the famous XP beta testing, and, about three months before its release, I remember discussing with colleagues whether the whole program should be revamped, due to the bugs being encountered.
But. Have you tried installing Paintshop in windows 7 compatibility mode, and as an Administrator?

Reaction score
Paintshop was working prior to 10130. Something in the update apparently removed the .dll. I think the .dll is a Windows system file and is not apparently installed by Paintshop. I need to look around the net to see if the file is available somewhere and can be added back into Windows.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
have you attempted to re-register that .dll
from the run dialog box type
REGSVR32 vcomp110.dll
sometimes that will work??

Reaction score
VCOMP110.dll is part of Visual C++ 11 It should be sitting in System32. Bu, I think your problem may be that it is an out of date or incompatible, model for the latest Windows 10 Beta
Paintshop probably needs needs this program.
Download it (free) from here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667/en-gb

Reaction score
I've apparently fixed the problem but during the process of attempting to fix I uninstalled the Paint Shop program and I'm running into another problem getting it reinstalled and working. I looked in the System32 folder and sure enough the .dll was not there. Downloaded and installed the Visual C++ 2012 file and it put the .dll back in and I was able to install and start the Paint Shop program without the missing .dll error. Unfortunately I've encountered another glitch now. Had I not uninstalled it and corrected the .dll problem I'd still be in business. Last year I purchased an upgrade from X6 to X7 and the license apparently will not work by downloading a trial copy and using the license to activate it. Yet another problem to solve.

Reaction score
All is well at the moment. Paint Shop is running and activated. Finally decided on a new video card to go with my new 4K monitor that should be here Tuesday. Will pair it up with a EVGA 04G-P4 2982KR.

Reaction score
I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations. I don't have anyplace where I can personally view and evaluate monitors other than a Staples store that only has a half dozen cheap ones on display so I have to rely on reviews online.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations
I suspect that with that monitor and that GPU you won't be disappointed.
Otherwise, I hope you purchased them from someone with a good return policy. :)

Reaction score
Yet another one. This morning for no apparent reason I get a message to activate Windows. Check and sure enough system window shows Windows is not activated. Followed prompt to settings and it advises that Windows can't activate right now and to try again later. Haven't a clue why Windows would suddenly deactivate since nothing has been installed or changed. Build 10130 has been the worst of all of them as far as problems go with random blue screens and other glitches here and there.

Reaction score
Windows 10 Build?

That is definitely strange. It is not subject to activation.

Reaction score
It's build 10130 and it has reactivated itself. This build seems fraught with niggling little problems such as reboots and blue screens. So far the problems seem to be self correcting and the system is operational. There are still a couple of issues that keep nagging me and have not been fixed. For some reason the speaker configuration on my Sound Blaster Z card will switch from stereo back to 5.1 (I do have a 5.1 setup) but the problem is that for some reason the only way I can get sound is to set them to stereo and reduce the sampling rate to CD quality. Creative is supposed to have a new Windows 10 driver early June. My setup at least cannot remember which program is default for opening a .jpg or .gif. If I open pictures posted as an attachment in a newsgroup post every time a popup comes up asking what program I want to use to open the picture. It's set correctly in default settings but either Windows 10 or Windows Live Mail can't remember. The taskbar set to auto hide will lock in the open position every time you use the start button and opening and immediately closing Cortana will return it to auto hide. If Microsoft can't get a handle on all of these little issues the launch of Windows 10 will be a complete disaster.

Reaction score
This was from the fast ring. It is subject to problems, as warned by MS, as it is an interim build. As I have just posted in another thread, I stayed on the slow ring, which has small problems, but more easily handled.

Reaction score
Hi Dave. I'm not too concerned with the problems because the machines are still useable and not totally fubared. My Assassin's Creed Rogue game is playing flawlessly with my Play Station 4 controller so it looks like the coders have gotten something right in Windows 10. So far the problems that have cropped up are more of an annoyance than a real issue. For example a couple hours ago I got a popup saying my computer was going to reboot in a minute and to save any work in progress. It rebooted and I was right back where I was in Firefox before the reboot. An hour or so later I got a blue screen with some kind of "Kfull" error (the screen closed before I could write down things). The computer rebooted and when I signed in I was once again right where I was before the blue screen. It's just annoying.

Reaction score
Yes. I am not into game playing, other than the occasional time waster solitaire. But I can see the software people who produce the games, have a lot of work ahead to make them compatible.

Ask a Question