SOLVED Microsoft needs to provide a way to recover corrupted Windows 10 user accounts

Reaction score
I have had a lot of trouble trying to reset a user account which was corrupted after an automatic update of Windows 10.
Apparently if one has only one user account and it is set as administrator no other user accounts can be created.

Given that this seems to be a common problem it would seem that Microsoft is determined to sour relations with long-time users of Windows (I've been with windows since the first version - this is the first time I've had such a frustrating experience, but there seems no way round it without losing all the settings accumulated over the years).

Does anyone know how to recover a corrupted user account when the control panel does not let one set up new accounts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
To BillG,

I have no affiliation with Microsoft in any shape and form.
I have no intention of defending Microsoft.

What I am saying from here on is just addressing your comments with my personal opinions...............

1. It is always a logical practice to create 2 admin accounts so that if one got busted, there is another one to fall back to. The idea had been around among Windows forums since the days of Vista.
Unfortunately not many people will even give it a thought, then they will cry foul when they have no working admin account to use.

2. Microsoft has warned us since the first day of Technical Preview 9841 release that if after installing the Preview and we wanted to go back to our original operating system, we would need to use the Installation media. We were, therefore, asked to make sure that we would make such a preparation.

Cannot blame MS if we, the users, do not implement the "preventive measures".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with you, however, although initially I had 2 accounts, after attempting to transfer some of the items from the corrupted account, the 2nd one disappeared - I have no idea why - and from that point I found myself unable to either find it or create an alternative. That is why it seems to me that MS should provide some tool or other which would automate the process. I have a reasonable knowledge of how everything works and if I found myself in a quagmire then I presume there must be thousands with less understanding than I who would simply give up in despair!!

I have, now found a way round the problem using an old backup disk and resigning myself to the loss of anything referenced in the corrupt account in the interim, but there must be many who would not have that sort of alternative and, in any case, one does not expect Microsoft updates to step on one's user account!!!

To BillG,

I have no affiliation with Microsoft in any shape and form.
I have no intention of defending Microsoft.

What I am saying from here on is just addressing your comments with my personal opinions...............

1. It is always a logical practice to create 2 admin accounts so that if one got busted, there is another one to fall back to. The idea had been around among Windows forums since the days of Vista.
Unfortunately not many people will even give it a thought, then they will cry foul when they have no working admin account to use.

2. Microsoft has warned us since the first day of Technical Preview 9841 release that if after installing the Preview and we wanted to go back to our original operating system, we would need to use the Installation media. We were, therefore, asked to make sure that we would make such a preparation.

Cannot blame MS if we, the users, do not implement the "preventive measures".
'm

Reaction score
It would probably involve, enabling the hidden administrator's account.

I posted in a thread here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/keeps-saying-incorrect-password.1185/#post-12550
And can report that it does work,
Maybe have a look and read my post and then the link to the article contained in my post and see if it works for you.
Many thanks, the problem has now been resolved (used a backup clone) but it is good to have a copy of the ISO to fall back on if the need ever arises.

Ask a Question