SOLVED Windows 10 reactivation question

Reaction score
I have two computers, both of which need hardware upgrades. I am replacing my motherboard, memory, CPU & GPU and placing that stuff in an older PC that really really needs an upgrade.

My questions is this....I checked. Both PC's are digitally linked to one Microsoft account. Both PC's are run off a local rather than the Microsoft account. Both are running Win 10, one is Home, one is Pro and both are running ver. 1909. Am I going to have reactivation problems with Windows 10 once I replace the hardware in both boxes? Thanks

Reaction score
It’s likely. Is the key OEM or Retail? If it’s OEM then it cannot be used on another PC & changing the MB is akin to a new PC; if it’s retails then that’s fine.
I would suggest that you log in with a Microsoft account to ensure the key is registered on said account.

Reaction score
Thanks for the above answers. Both PC's had Windows 7 installed from the "Family Pack" disk I purchased, The pack did 3 PC's. The older PC went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the OS was a freebie to upgrade. That PC is Windows 10 Home and is digitally licensed.

The newer PC went from Windows 7 from the Family pack to Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with the freebie upgrade. I knew how Windows has to be reactivated from the reading I've done. I just didn't know if I would be causing myself a lot of headaches doing two hardware upgrades with only one Microsoft account.

Reaction score
I don’t believe it matters how many PC are on one account when it comes to reactivation, just whether the licenses are OEM or retail & whether you sign in with a local or Microsoft account.
If there’s any problems you should be able to reactivate using the original Win 7 keys.

Reaction score
Thanks for the above answers. Both PC's had Windows 7 installed from the "Family Pack" disk I purchased, The pack did 3 PC's. The older PC went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the OS was a freebie to upgrade. That PC is Windows 10 Home and is digitally licensed.

The newer PC went from Windows 7 from the Family pack to Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with the freebie upgrade. I knew how Windows has to be reactivated from the reading I've done. I just didn't know if I would be causing myself a lot of headaches doing two hardware upgrades with only one Microsoft account.
It depends on how many Activations was originally allowed with your "Family Pack" My Original Windows 7 Key (have 4) each was allowed
different # of Activations. sample
1585836978924.png
Yes, I still have Activations left on my All Versions of Windows 7 and MS does allow & have several methods to check if your Keys are still good.

Reaction score
FWIW, I used slmgr /dli command in an elevated command prompt. Both PC's show retail licenses. I must admit I never knew there was such a thing.

Ask a Question