Windows 10 Rebooting Problem

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago my system is rebooting several times a day. I tried to update to Windows 10, Version 1607 (Windows indicated that this update was available for this system); however; I received a message that this update could not be applied to my system.

I tried to fix the problem changing the settings shown below; however, I failed to fix the problem.

gpedit.msc - Computer Configuration-Admin Templates - Win Components -Windows Updates I changed the 4 settings listed below. The remaining settings are the default configuration - not configured.

Configure Automatic Updates – Enabled Option #2-Notify for download and install
Automatic Update detection frequency - Enabled 22 hours interval
Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Update – Enabled
No auto restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation – Enabled

My system just rebooted at 3:04 PM and is scheduled for reboot at 8:18 PM today. I believe the problem is Windows failing to update to Version 1607. But I could be wrong. I have tried most of the ways available on the Internet to install/upgrade to Version 1607 without success. Whenever I reboot the system the “Rebooting” dot-circle runs for a few minutes.

A review of the Windows Event Logs did not disclose any information that I felt was meaningful. Neither did CHKDSK.

At this point I’ll settle for a workaround to stop the constant rebooting.

A review of the update history discloses that Windows has frequently updated the system. In fact, there were 5 updates to the system since January 1, 2017.

Any suggestions for stopping this constant rebooting or the solution to upgrading to version 1607 will be deeply appreciated.

System Information:

Computer: Dell XPS 8700
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional, Version 1510 (Build: 10240) 64-bit
Product ID: 00330-80100-00000-AA398
Processor: Intel® Core (TM) i7 – 4790 @3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 16 GB
Available Physical Memory: 11.3 GB

I installed a 465 GB Samsung solid-state drive shortly after I purchased the system on October 23, 2015. SATA Interface 6 Gb/s (SATA 3). The solid-state drive is partitioned as described below. All partitions use less than 50% of the available SSD space.

Disk 0 – Online 465 GB Samsung solid-state drive

450 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition)
500 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
196 GB C: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump Primary Partition)
75 GB E: Healthy (Primary Partition)
50 GB F: Healthy (Primary Partition)
144 GB G: Healthy (Primary Partition)

Disk 1 - Offline Original Dell HDD

500 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
933 GB
16 GB
300 GB
300 GB
300 GB
450 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition)
13 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)