SOLVED Windows 10 Recovery Disk

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently upgrade to Windows 10 via a image file on DVD and now want to create a Windows 10 recovery disk . I went into Control Panel into Backup And Restore ( Windows 7) but the error message was " An Internal error has occurred the specified resource name cannot be found in image file (0x80070716). I have looked in Windows 10 settings but cannot find anything there,

Reaction score
Thanks for this I will give it a go and get back with the results. It is still strange that the recovery disk process that was available under Windows 7 is now not available due to the error after upgrading to Windows 10.

Reaction score
Windows 10 has its own backup and recovery in settings panel under the update & Security sections

Reaction score
Fickp,
There is Create a System Repair Disk which you will find in Backup And Restore ( Windows 7).
Then there is Create a Recovery Drive which you will find in File History > Recovery.

Which one are you referring to ?

I just went to Backup And Restore ( Windows 7), inserted a disk and finished creating a System Repair disk.

system repair disk.jpg

P.S. adding............. I am using Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Create System repair Disk is not available after the Windows 10 installation

upload_2015-8-21_12-41-1.png

Reaction score
Try this..............
Right click at Start button > select Run > in the box, type services.msc > OK .
Scroll down to Windows Backup > right click at it > select Properties > at Startup type, click the pointer and select Disable > OK when done. ( see screenshot )
Restart your computer.

Now try creating system repair disk again.

Windows Backup - prop - disable.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks , did this with the following result. No options are available to create a rescue disk. It seems the upgrade to Windows 10 has caused some problems.

Do I restore Windows 7 and then do the Windows 10 upgrade again (I did the upgrade originally from a Windows 10 image file rather than wait for the online upgrade to become available)?

Thanks for your help...

upload_2015-8-21_14-27-27.png

Reaction score
I am not sure you HAVE to reinstall Win 10 in order to fix the issue on hand.
Hang tight. Someone with a better idea will come along to help you.

As to reinstalling Windows 10........ no need to go back to Win 7.
Your current Win 10 is activated. Yes ?
If so, burn the Win 10 ISO you have to a DVD or an USB > use it to do a Clean Install.
Clean install means you keep nothing. Start clean.
But, do it only as your last resort.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, yes Windows 10 is activated and I will wait for more help...again, thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Fickp,

Go back to my first reply, follow the steps I gave you, BUT this time change the Startup type from Disable back to Manual > click OK when done.

Reaction score
I have seen this solution to resolve my problem, any views if this may work ?

Editing the registry and deleting the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidSystemImageBackup

Reaction score
Tried reverting back Windows backup service back to manual but the original error message occurs...

Reaction score
After deleting the registry entries below the problem has been solved.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidSystemImageBackup

Reaction score
Hello Fickp
I need your help, I have the same problem with my windows 10 upgrade as you previously stated and have searched all over for help too. I came across you post and I see where you deleted the above two registry entries.
When you click back on the "Back up or Restore your files" did it do what it is suppose to do??

How do I remove those two registry entries? I generally don't like to go into the "Registry" because I am afraid I will mess something up worse than it is, but I would like to fix this. So, If you can tell me how you removed them in simple instructions I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Reaction score
I am new at this so if I make mistakes please don't get to upset.
I received a message but I can not figure out how to reply back to the person who sent me the message.
I wanted to tell her that the suggestions she made "Did Not Work" I tried them all.
So, I am still open to suggestions to fix this problem.

Reaction score
LindyPhil,

After starting Regedit I exported the registry file ( chose file export) to my D: so I had a backup. I then found the two entries in the registry and right clicked on each entry, selected delete then simply closed regedit. After that I restarted the computer and all was OK. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I had trouble doing the backup of the registry file.
I tried but I didn't know how to "Save" it to a disk, I followed your instructions but when it stated it was ready to be copied onto disk, I didn't know how...Guess I am stupid.
On the two things to delete I got as far as WindowsBackup\ but there wasn't the Valid Config or Valid system Image backup.
There was only 3 things there: Debault REG_SZ (value not set)....ValidConfig Reg_DWORD 0x00000001 and WindowsBackup..REG_SZ 1.1
I have no clue what this is, I didn't delete it cause I just don't know.

Got any ideals
I am open for suggestion
Thanks
Linda

Reaction score
The registry entries I now have are below. Seems your registry entries are different. Not sure I have any other ideas. Maybe someone else ca add to the thread with another solution.

upload_2015-8-26_13-50-45.png

Backup Registry. Chose file export and then select a 'save in' path , add the file name and choose save.

upload_2015-8-26_13-53-14.png

Reaction score
Hi Fickp, You are correct, your registry does shows more than mine. Guess I will just use a 3rd party app for this problem and not worry about it...a lot of other things doesn't work since upgrading to windows 10 so I have a feeling I will and others will find more problems with windows 10.
Just want to say "Thank You" for your help.
Take Care and have a nice day

Ask a Question