Windows 10 stopcode 0xc000021a

Reaction score
So I was on my pc earlier today, and all of a sudden the pc stopped working and the blue screen came up saying that Windows is searching for a problem on my computer. It has happened before, then I just restarted it in safe mode and it started working as usual. Now, i just get a BSOD when i try to start my pc and I cant even get to the windows login screen. I have tried all the methods I could find online to fix this, but I just cant get it right. I have tried every advanced troubleshooting option, and neither of them is working... It all leads to the BSOD and its saying Stopcode 0xc000021a. I have tried all the commands for the cmd and none of them are working. I tried bootrec /scanos and the commands like that, and it just said that 0 windows installations or something along that line was found. It seems like the pc can not find the windows files in my PC? I used the command E: and then hit enter and typed dir and hit enter again, and it showed me the maps Program Files, Program Files 64 and the Windows map, but it still can not find it? My pc knowledge is not the best, and I would really appreciate some help from you guys :) I need this PC to start working again without having to repair it, I do not have the money for that because I am a student and I have important files on that pc. Im sorry if my English is bad but I hope it is understandable.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi jacobk0716,

Welcome to the Forum.

Normally when receiving this Stop code error, Windows will automatically attempt to repair, but if this fails your computer ought to be booting to a blue screen titled Automatic Repair.

When you reach the Automatic Repair screen, click the Advanced Options button.

You'll now see another screen. Click on Troubleshoot.

Another screen will appear. Click on Advanced Options.

This will take you to the Advanced Options screen. On this screen click on Command Prompt.

Your computer ought to now open a Command Prompt console, and likely the prompt inside the console will read:

X:\Windows\System32
  • At this prompt type C: then press Enter key
  • Now type dir and press Enter key to list the directory of the C drive
The goal here is to confirm the partition you have opened contains your Windows 10 OS.

If it does you'll see something like the image below:

Directory.png

If you do not see a list like above, then C:\ does not contain your Windows OS, so type D: then press Enter key, followed by typing dir then pressing Enter key to see whether the D: partition contains your Windows 10 OS.

Once you are in the correct partition whose Directory list displays as above image, you can then type the following command:

Code:
dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Note: With the above command, make sure to replace C:\ with the partition letter that contains your Windows 10 OS from previous step. For example, if you discovered Windows was under the D: then in above command you'd replace C:\ with D:\ as below:

Code:
dism /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

When you are certain you have typed the full command correctly, including the correct partition letter press your Enter key to execute the command.

When its finished executing the command, type exit and press Enter key to close the Command Prompt, then shutdown your computer, and now try starting the computer again.

Report back on how you go, as there are more things you can do that may resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi jacobk0716,

Welcome to the Forum.

Normally when receiving this Stop code error, Windows will automatically attempt to repair, but if this fails your computer ought to be booting to a blue screen titled Automatic Repair.

When you reach the Automatic Repair screen, click the Advanced Options button.

You'll now see another screen. Click on Troubleshoot.

Another screen will appear. Click on Advanced Options.

This will take you to the Advanced Options screen. On this screen click on Command Prompt.

Your computer ought to now open a Command Prompt console, and likely the prompt inside the console will read:

X:\Windows\System32
  • At this prompt type C: then press Enter key
  • Now type dir and press Enter key to list the directory of the C drive
The goal here is to confirm the partition you have opened contains your Windows 10 OS.

If it does you'll see something like the image below:

View attachment 7606

If you do not see a list like above, then C:\ does not contain your Windows OS, so type D: then press Enter key, followed by typing dir then pressing Enter key to see whether the D: partition contains your Windows 10 OS.

Once you are in the correct partition whose Directory list displays as above image, you can then type the following command:

Code:
dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Note: With the above command, make sure to replace C:\ with the partition letter that contains your Windows 10 OS from previous step. For example, if you discovered Windows was under the D: then in above command you'd replace C:\ with D:\ as below:

Code:
dism /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

When you are certain you have typed the full command correctly, including the correct partition letter press your Enter key to execute the command.

When its finished executing the command, type exit and press Enter key to close the Command Prompt, then shutdown your computer, and now try starting the computer again.

Report back on how you go, as there are more things you can do that may resolve this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

I have unfortunately already tried this, without success. I did manage to solve the problem by booting from a windows 7 dvd, the only problem is... well I now have windows 7 on my pc

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you installed Windows 10 during the free upgrade process, then you can install it again for no additional charge as your computer will be in their Register.

Probably worth a shot if you currently have a clean and working computer.

Reaction score
If you installed Windows 10 during the free upgrade process, then you can install it again for no additional charge as your computer will be in their Register.

Oh really? How? When i go to windows 10 site and want to install windows 10 it says add to cart?

Reaction score

I downloaded the media tool, but directly after the windows download was complete it demands me to write in a product key code. I also have my windows 10 on my harddrive, when I start up my computer it asks if I want to boot from Windows 10 or 7. If i pick 10, it does not work, I get the 0xc000021a stopcode all over again, while if I boot windows 7 it works perfectly...I tried the sfc /scannow but it did not show results of missing files or anything.

However, I can buy a Windows 10 product key, but will it then be safe to completely erase my saved folder on one of my harddrives which contains the Windows 10 OS and then boot up the pc with windows 7 and then install windows 10? I have also tried programs to search the windows 10 folders for missing files etc. but with no result.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you get to screen asking for Product Key, there is a link below you click, which allows you to proceed without entering a Product Key - Sorry the precise wording of link has slipped my mind just now.

You'll find by the time you are fully installed and able to sign-in again, Windows will be activated presuming your Router is turned on as you sign-in as a Microsoft Server containing your digital license will recognize your computer.

The digital license is the equivalent of the product key.

Reaction score
When you get to screen asking for Product Key, there is a link below you click, which allows you to proceed without entering a Product Key - Sorry the precise wording of link has slipped my mind just now.

You'll find by the time you are fully installed and able to sign-in again, Windows will be activated presuming your Router is turned on as you sign-in as a Microsoft Server containing your digital license will recognize your computer.

The digital license is the equivalent of the product key.

I am downloading the windows 10 ISO and burning it to a dvd right now. I will try to boot it from that dvd, and we will see if it work :)

Ask a Question