Windows 10 suddenly requires activation

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by errolgreer, Jun 12, 2018.

1. errolgreer

errolgreer

I've had win10 running on my pc since I installed the free upgrade from Win8.1. Suddenly, I booted and a grey notice appeared telling me to activate. In Settings, it confirmed that Win10 was not activated. HOWEVER there is no way I can enter an installation key code. Anyway, I restored a system backup from a few days before and all is well. Question is, why did this happen?

errolgreer, Jun 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. errolgreer

Kris22

Something you did caused it to think there was a hardware change.?

Kris22, Jun 14, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. errolgreer

errolgreer

Not that I know of. No hardware changes. Still a mystery!

errolgreer, Jun 15, 2018
  4. errolgreer

Kris22

LOL yeah, probably should have phrased that to "it "thought" there was a hardware change..." LOL. Or I suppose it could have decided the key was bad - I had that happen once when a corporate key "expired". Good for you that you restored back a few days and it worked!!!

EDIT: I suppose there's a possibility that it got confused and thought you were trying to use the key twice. Or re-use an old key, which I occasionally do - it's quite forgiving these days if you just feed it the key again...

Kris22, Jun 15, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question