Windows 10 suddenly stopped working?

Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed that my laptop's touchpad had returned to the tap-to-click default. When I went to see if I could turn it off, the icon for the touchpad was unavailable, so I restarted my computer.

When it started back up, and I logged into my account, the screen began flashing to black, and I could not access anything. I tried restarting again, to the same results. Ctrl+Alt+Del still worked, and I could access the task manager through it, but I couldn't shut down any programs.

The problem has worsened since then. The touchpad does not work at all now. My father looked into the problem through the command prompt and discerned that explorer.exe had apparently been corrupted. I do not have a second account on this computer, and I don't know how to make a new one (this is my first experience with Windows 10).

Now, bear in mind that I am not particularly familiar with the inner workings of computers, so I apologize for any confusion or lack of detail with my description. If it helps any, the laptop in question is a Lenovo IdeaPad and I bought it sometime last month.

Edit: I should probably note that everything appears to be working, I just can't access it except through the command prompt.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do not have a second account on this computer, and I don't know how to make a new one (this is my first experience with Windows 10).
I'm not sure what you mean by that statement, but.....
IF you think that your current issues are related to a corrupt user profile and you wish to create a new admin user to test this hypothesis then....
Go to
C:\Windows\System32 (IF necessary you can navigate to this folder by using Task Manager and "File" -> Run new task from the menu bar and type the path in and hit enter.)
Find
Cmd.exe (IF you are hiding extensions of known file types then it may only say "Cmd")
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Ask a Question