Windows 10 updates not working

Reaction score
My windows 10 updates is not working. I also cannot see my update history. It has been a whole day with no updates. Something is wrong. I always get updates for Windows defender Antivirus and they have not updated all day. Please help

Reaction score
Could you tell us what the last system update you got was? If you show no update history, then you may have gotten a build upgrade so if you are not running the latest one, it might have wiped out your history.

What version are you running now? If you don't know, you can open a run box and type winver.

Windows Defender updates will occur often when you check for updates but if you check often, they may not be available until the next cycle.

Any log entries in the Event Viewer regarding Windows Update?

Reaction score
Could you tell us what the last system update you got was? If you show no update history, then you may have gotten a build upgrade so if you are not running the latest one, it might have wiped out your history.

What version are you running now? If you don't know, you can open a run box and type winver.

Windows Defender updates will occur often when you check for updates but if you check often, they may not be available until the next cycle.

Any log entries in the Event Viewer regarding Windows Update?
The system I have is :Version is 1809 (os Build 17763.475. An update "Cumulative Update 1809 x64 based KB4495667 I checked and it was installed 5/3/2019 twice, first time it failed with error code #OX80240034 Then it installed again the same date and succeeded. This may explain why there was improvement last night. But Updates do not seem to happen on their own unless I go and do manually. The "Disc Clean--up) works then does not work. Still computer seems slow and pages sometimes open 3 copies. Am I up to date?

Reaction score
I will have to check to see what the error number might mean, it may just be a connection situation.

Yes, you are up to date as of May 3rd. In the last few weeks, because of the impending release of the new build, updates have been a little different than usual. When you manually check for updates, you are one of those Microsoft has designated as a "Seeker" and may get updates a little before others. But your system only checks for updates once a day and the first check may not see an update so it waits until the next day. When you do manual checks, the system will wait again until the next day or some time period.

Edit:
0x80240034 WU_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILED Update failed to download. 

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will have to check to see what the error number might mean, it may just be a connection situation.

Yes, you are up to date as of May 3rd. In the last few weeks, because of the impending release of the new build, updates have been a little different than usual. When you manually check for updates, you are one of those Microsoft has designated as a "Searcher" and may get updates a little before others. But your system only checkes for updates once a day and the first check may not see an update so it waits until the next day. When you do manual checks, the system will wait again until the next day or some time period.
Okay Thanks, let me know but I guess it tried to install again with success. I have learned from you how to check my update status which gives me insight on what is going on. :)

Ask a Question