Windows 10 Updates

Reaction score
I got a new monitor and upgraded my graphics card for a higher resolution and added memory too. It looked great and I was very pleased as all went well. However, a couple of weeks later, along came this latest Windows 10 Creator update 1709 which installed automatically halfway and then failed, and then there was no connection between computer and monitor. I had to pay quite a lot to get things working again and he could only solve it by taking off this update and putting updates on a metered connection.

However, I notice Windows updates other than and including 1709 are now piling up for download and installation, and another is there for display update from my computer manufacturer Dell. I am too scared of another problem if I install any updates or upgrades at present. I used to have a VGA connection between computer and old monitor but now have only HDMI to the new one, and it is this connection which gets severed, ie no HDMI signal from computer to monitor. How can I keep my computer and Windows 10 updated from now on? My techie tells me that no big commercial firm will install a major Windows update for at least 18 months until all bugs are sorted! Should I install all updates except the 1709?

Reaction score
Thank you for that link and I will keep a note of it and use it in future. At present, all the updates have been put on a metered connection by the techie, and the hide option is not showing. I suppose at some point I am going to have change this?

Reaction score
Many thanks for your help. My main problem is that I would not be able to uninstall anything as the connection goes down and I have no screen - hence my hesitation now! On looking on the net, I see others have had problems with HDMI following the 1709 update and I would not contemplate installing this, but if I wanted to install the others, then I would have to come off the metered connection?

Reaction score
HI Josephine,

if things ever go wrong, follow the next bit of advice which will revert your computer back to a factory reset (of sorts)!.

You can boot from your recovery partition (or a USB stick/DVD) and run setup as if you were doing a new install, choose "Upgrade" and re-install W10, all your files will then be in a folder called "Windows.old", you can copy and paste your files to the new folders (docs, pics etc) and then delete the "Windows.old" folder, it should overwrite the system files thereby deleting the virus infected system files!. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR C:/ DRIVE!.

That way, all your data will still be there, albeit in an older users folder!. :)

ALWAYS BACKUP AND MAKE COPIES OF YOUR FILES (pics, docs etc) ON AN EXTERNAL DRIVE LIKE A USB STORAGE DEVICE!. ;)

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the advice which I have kept for the time when I shall have to pluck up the courage to get installing. Do you know how to take the computer off metered connection?

Reaction score
Josephine To turn off/on metered connection. Click on Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi. You will see a selection box where you can enable/disable Metered Connection.

You can also open Settings, click on Bluetooth & Other Devices, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select/deselect "Download over Metered Connection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And one other thing, a full factory reset will wipe your drive and all its contents will be lost so be careful if you ever choose that option!. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks again, you have been most helpful and I will very soon back up and deal properly with this problem, but still would not attempt to install the Creator 1709 until the net is clear of others with the same result. I personally think that Microsoft ought to reimburse my bill for getting the computer working again.....

Reaction score
I personally think that Microsoft ought to reimburse my bill for getting the computer working again.....
Good luck with that Josephine!. :)

If you keep all your docs/pics/music files on a back-up media, you can't really go wrong, the only thing is the re-install and copying your data back over after a fresh install!. ;)

There are back-up apps which will make an image of your drive and you can use that to do your back-up if needed!.

Some examples here:

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pc-backup-software :p

Reaction score
I am reasonably diligent with backups on to an external drive, but of course the main problem is always going to be the lack of connection between computer and monitor! Last time I had to get the old monitor down from the attic in order to be able to do anything - and the techie took both away with him.... I do wish my lovely new Dell Ultrasharp had more than one way of connecting to my rather older computer, which is an i7 which is why I held on to it. Basically I know that any other update should not produce the wipeout of the HDMI which the 1709 update did, but I am still getting over the trauma of having no connection, so am proceeding cautiously as I pluck up courage to do all this. I shall, very soon ...... thanks again Wolfie.

Ask a Question