Windows 10 virtual memory

Reaction score
I have 32GB of RAM on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system. How much virtual memory does this translate to ? I understand that Windows can address up to 2 Terabytes of memory for my 64-bit system. But can I manipulate the amount of virtual memory Windows 10 can address on my system ? If so, how do I do that ?

When I click on Performance Options | Advanced | Virtual Memory it says that Windows is managing the paging file size for all drives and the total size is 4864 MB, aka about 4.8 GB. Is this actually correct ? Why would a system of 32 GB physical ram have a paging file size of about 4.8 GB ? Does this mean that despite 32 GB of ram the virtual memory on my system is:

1) 4.8 GB
2) 32 GB + 4.8 GB
3 Something else

Any help manipulate my virtual memory would be appreciated.

Reaction score
1 would be correct.

Haven't checked Help and Support in Win10 but in Win7 it was written to use 1.5 times the physical/installed RAM and earlier versions had 2.5 times. I just let Win10 take care of it but also have the Notebooks maxed out on memory and at least 8GB on Desktops.

If doing heavy processing such as Video editing, large spreadsheets or databases a larger number would problem help.

Reaction score
If the page size should be about 1.5 times the physically installed RAM why would Windows 10 be telling me that my page size of 4.8 GB is the recommended size when the amount of RAM is 32 GB ?

Reaction score
That happens when the choice of let Windows manage it is selected, nothing wrong.

Reaction score
That happens when the choice of let Windows manage it is selected, nothing wrong.

But it does not make sense. If the paging file is normally about 1.5 of the physcial RAM, why woud Windows 10 choose a paging file that is .125 of the physical RAM in my case.

Reaction score
The 1.5 was only a recommended size, users are free to choose what they want or need.

Reaction score
The 1.5 was only a recommended size, users are free to choose what they want or need.

Sure, but the difference between 1.5 and Windows choosing for me .125 is still inconsistent. Obviously I can choose to change it.

Reaction score
Some reading for a better understanding than I apparently am not giving in this situation [but then I've only had to deal with it since my first computer in '92 and building/repairing computers since late '94]:

Reaction score
Actually, if you are Running an SSD for your OS and 32 GB of RAM, you don't need any virtual at all. Unless your running a whole bunch of VM's.4 GB should be more than enough to hold Sleep and unless your actually using 32 GB of RAM your RAM can hold it all by itself.

Ask a Question