Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
With what in mind?

Assuming your hardware supports virtualization then you can enable Hyper-V on your Windows 10 Pro machine.
You could then construct a new Virtual Machine and point it at that "image" assuming a format of .vhd or .vhdx

You may find that you'll need to "activate" Windows 7, so you'll likely need a product key.

IF you are looking more towards a dual boot type scenario then you would more than likely need to investigate more about attaching the virtual drive and get a little deeper into the weeds regarding adding it to the boot menu.
This may help some.... I've never actually tried it myself.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oot--add-a-virtual-hard-disk-to-the-boot-menu

In either case, assuming dissimilar hardware, you may run into activation problems as well driver issues as the "image" was likely created while running on a different machine.

Ask a Question