Windows 10 vs windows 7

Reaction score
I like many of you upgraded to win 10 in july when it was released as a free upgrade to those who had win7-8. I knew I was probably going to run into some bugs here and there but at the time had no idea what I was getting myself into. Constant driver issues with different hardware,crashing on boot up...etc. I also spent many hrs with win 10 support and letting remote access to my laptop to allow a tech to (Try) and resolve the issues I was having, which did more harm than good. To be honest....win 10 was an unstable OS upon its release and from I see here still is with little resolves to issues that still exist today. Now.....lets get to the part where microsoft says that win 10 gets 30% gain to boot times as opposed to win 7. I have reverted back to win 7 and have boot time logs to prove this statement B.S. Win 10 boot times for me were unstable and varied between 57secs up to 2min 15secs and with Win 7 I get between 25secs and 37 with 37 secs being the about every boot up. The features were great but my pc run like crap. I am very happy with win 7 and am happy to say I will stay with it. I prefer performance over everything win 10 has to offer. Win 10 is a performance decrease for me and also caused alot of issues with some games and I am not forced to upgrade to broken ass drivers. Microsoft....if your reading this, I gave it all I could stand hoping your tech team could work with me to fix issues I ended up having to fix myself by going back to older win 7 drivers but it does no good to do that when you force the driver to update back to the broken ass drivers you issued out and from what I can remember some wouldn't install because of compatibility issues. You guys broke my machine and cost me many of hrs having to whip,format and reinstall win 7 and all my games and programs. You also really need to be honest with your consumers. I have caught tech support in lies as well as info you push out trying to promote win 10. Its nice looking and all but it is not what you make it out to be. I didn't feel like I was in control of my own machine the whole time I had win 10 installed on my system. Win 7 is a way more stable and reliable OS than Win 10 in my experience. I will not be coming back to Win 10 anytime soon. Quit forcing drivers like you know whats best for a system you don't even own! This is my system, not yours!

Reaction score
I hear ya! I don't like Windows 10 at all. I wound up with it on a new laptop. Big mistake. I'd just gotten used to Windows 8 and 8.1. I truly miss Windows XP. I don't understand why Microsoft has to change things so often. Is it to make even more money? I'd sure like to figure out a way to get this 10 off of here and go to 8.1 like I have on my desktop.

Reaction score
I hear ya! I don't like Windows 10 at all. I wound up with it on a new laptop. Big mistake. I'd just gotten used to Windows 8 and 8.1. I truly miss Windows XP. I don't understand why Microsoft has to change things so often. Is it to make even more money? I'd sure like to figure out a way to get this 10 off of here and go to 8.1 like I have on my desktop.
I have now installed W 10 on 5 PCs one of which was a laptop with very little problems.
Many people have had problems as you can see in some of the posts on this forum and i can understand how annoying and as you say can take many hours to sort out.

As for Microsoft making money well it was a free upgrade and as it is said to be the last windows version we will all be going over to it at some stage. ;)

Reaction score
There are ways around getting back to an older OS if thats what you want to do. If you know someone with an win 7,8 etc disc you can install it but will need a valid key to activate it. I have downloaded win 7 and vista from torrent sites to fix friends laptops and used there keys to activate them with no problems. Just a thought if you have a key for the OS you are downloading or installing from disc. If you download it you may need to create a bootable usb to install it.

Reaction score
Yes and I had to do several reinstalls to get it to run correctly for a very limited amount of time which was a total waste of time. The updated drivers are what was causing the issues I was having. I found all this out after many hrs of research, configuring and replacing updated drivers with drivers I was running on Windows 7. I was limited to which drivers I could replace because of compatibility issues I was facing. I am now back to Win 7 and this is where I plan on staying now that my system is stable and I have control of installing my own drivers as I see fit and can revert to older ones if newer ones are broken. Win 10 was pushed out way too soon if you ask me from my own personal experience.

Reaction score
Like Defender, I have installed on quite a number of machines, for friends, family and colleagues. Without exception, all have been satisfied, although requests for help with small problems have come back.
One thing I would comment on, in your original post, is the principal reference to boot up times.
The web was flooded with the same issue, in the transition from 7 - 8 - 8.1 and now, Windows 10. My personal use of any computer, normally involves a boot up once a day. I have never considered a few seconds difference, a big issue, therefore. The differences are extremely hard, in any case, to measure, as so much depends on hardware used running programs etc..
The bottom line on this or any Windows 10 forum, is to take the action which you have already done -return to the OS of your choice.
But, for the benefit of readers, it is worthwhile looking at professional benchmarks. There are many out there, and assess whether you do, really, wish to move up to Windows 10. Here is one, for example, of good repute.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/

Reaction score
Hi Keitha, I have read your original thread especially about boot times between Win 7 and Win 10. The time differences you are talking about in the real World don't mean squat. You are only talking about seconds here and seconds there. You can get 100 people with computers and Win 10 and you will get 100 different time readings as each machine is different. This is mainly because the motherboards ( no matter what brands ) will have differnt timings. The same goes for your RAM and video card even your power supply can cause a computer to boot slower.
Back when I first got into computers there wasn't even hard drives around and you want to talk about slow lol You could boot your XT up with 5 1/4 floppy and go and mow your lawns before the screen booted up. Life is far too short to worry about seconds her or there.
Now here is something you might consider and I dare say that Microsoft wont like, but I spent a couple of months working on this and it does work fine. After I give you this suggestion I will annotate my system config so you can get an idea of what I'm using.
Okay we step back to Sept last year, I had been playing around with Win 10 and deciding whether I would finally or could finally ditch my Win 7. I came to the conclusion that the engine of Win 10 worked great, but I hated the interface ( desktop ). Now if you do the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, but like the look of Win 7 interface there is a program called "Classicshellsetup" which will give you the Win 7 look in Win 10. However I was happy to just sit with that so this is what I wanted to do. I wanted to keep even more aspects of Win 7 than just the classic shell.
It took some playing around but I finally cracked it and for the last 5 months I have had Win 10 as stable as anything.
I had a fresh copy of Win 7 on the computer ( one of many reinstalls ) Start the Win 10 installation and other than the standard currency/time and user/computer name I said no to all the things Win 10 wanted to install including the sending information to Microsoft. I also select Internet Explorer instead of the one with Win 10. When Win 10 finished installing I ended up with my Win 7 interface and had no need to load the classic shell. So now for me I have the Win 10 engine with the Win 7 interface and the system runs like a dream.

System Config;
Gigabyte X79- UD3 Motherboard
Intel 3820 LGA 2011 CPU
32 Gig High Speed RAM
nVidia GT610 2GB DDR5
250 Gig Scandisk SSD

Anyway I hope this helps a little bit.

Ask a Question