Windows C Drive Storage Full

Reaction score
I have a new HP Envy PC running Windows 10. I have been receiving notifications that the C Drive is almost full and need to free up space. However, the DataDrive1 (D Drive) which has 1.8TB available is not utilized. Is there a way of setting up the system to automatically use the D Drive? As you can tell I am not very technical!

Reaction score
If you do this by using File explorer rather than settings you can right click on the directory icon, Pictures for example, click on location and then you can choose a destination and move the existing data to that new location with just one click.

Last edited:
Reaction score
File explorer works well for me too. The alternative method suggested; Settings > System > Storage doesn't work on my PC. The default location is "This PC C:\" and won't allow any changes.

Reaction score
I am fed up to the back teeth with Windows 10 for precisely this sort of reason. I don't keep any of my important documents on C drive, especially as much of my work is confidential. I do nearly everything on the D drive and have set up my own storage and filing system on there. This afternoon I needed to scan a couple of confidential docs and save the scans. (I use a Canon MG5740 all-in-one) I was asked to which folder I wanted the scan to be saved but it wasn't there. I did it again, still wasn't there. I changed the destination to 'Documents' on the C drive - no problem, but I then had to move the scans from there to where I wanted them.

Reaction score
This is why I choose the location for all my files. I never allow Windows to use default locations for storage. And it is a pain in the ass to try and manage them. So in the long run it is easier to simply manage my own locations. I have been doing so since the birth of Windows

Reaction score
Same here I've always, (for ever) chosen were to save my files. It's soo easy.

Reaction score
File explorer works well for me too. The alternative method suggested; Settings > System > Storage doesn't work on my PC. The default location is "This PC C:\" and won't allow any changes.
That might be cause you probably have one giant C:\ drive with the system partition, recovery partition etc.
I have in my laptop two hard drives, one for the system and one for my files and I CAN change the settings under "settings" -> "system" -> "Storage"
2016-12-01_225456.jpg

Reaction score
Maybe a couple of questions.. How large is your C partition? Have you made any partition changes since you got the machine?

Reaction score
Saltgrass Are you referring to my post? I just have a 150 GB HD and the recovery partition. No options to select any other location. Could be that's the way I set up Win 10 Pro?

Back to the OP by posted by finndodd.
finndodd you can free up space by opening up Setting > System > Storage > at the top of the page you will see "This PC C:" clicking on it will open Storage Usage, at the bottom click on "Temporary Files" it will open a temp file list and you can choose to delete as you wish. If apps haven't cleaned up automatically, the temp folder it could be quite large.

Reaction score
No, Norton, it was meant for the OP. I saw a thread from a HP owner who said their OS partition was only 32 GB. Jut wondering how his got filled up so fast.

I am also watching the Reset operation to see what is happening with extra partitions added by the user and whether they will survive a Full Reset Operation...

Ask a Question