Windows Cleanup Leaving Windows Update Cleanup

Reaction score
I've got a customer's HP Stream in. This, if you aren't aware is the awful laptop that ships with around 32gb of fixed hard drive. I have have managed to delete around 8gb which makes it usable but running the cleanup tool always shows 4.16gb of space taken up by Windows 10 update cleanup. The cleanup tool runs ok and seems to delete it but next check and it's back again.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never understood why manufacturer put these small drives in. They cause a lot of issues, especially Storage issues. Windows 10 as a blank system already uses about 16GB of space. Then for updates (monthly) you need to calculate an extra 20GB, the feature updates can take up to 35GB of storage space, although in both cases these are temporary. However, if the drive is not big enough, Windows refuses to update. I usually have at least 80GB for the system drive (My files are on a different partition)....
I know this does not help your situation. I would recommend to exchange the 32GB drive with a bigger one....

Reaction score
Using Cloud storage or an external drive might be an alternative?. Does it have an SD card reader with which you could expand the storage directly on the device. :)

Reaction score
When you run cleanup ensure you’re also choosing to cleanup system files.

Reaction score
This is what I found online when googling HP Stream:

>>> How to clean up

These are the methods to free up space on HP Stream 32GB Notebook.
  1. Run Disk Cleanup Advanced. Open File Explorer. ...
  2. Clear Your Downloads Folder. ...
  3. Run Treesize. ...
  4. Delete Hiberfil. ...
  5. If All Of These Fail – Format. ...
  6. Failing that – bin.
Sep 26, 2018 <<<

:D :D

Seriously, your options to be able to do something with it are pretty much slim to none since RAM and Drive cannot be upgraded. I found out some of them actually have a card reader, however, it will not improve the performance especially when updating as Windows insists to do that on drive C:\ . The only thing the card reader may be good for is as File storage (Moving documents, pictures, etc onto the memory card, thus freeing up more space on the drive C:

Ask a Question