SOLVED Windows Defender broken

Reaction score
Hello, I am having this issue where when I open windows defender, a white screen pops up with little to do on the page. I don't receive notifications for any malware and I can't scan my pc either. Only thing I can do is go to settings from the windows defender page. Could someone please help me.
1614680141080.png

Reaction score
What version of Windows are you running?
Have you ever installed any third party antivirus software? If yes then did you fully uninstall it then run their specific cleanup tool?
If Windows 10 you can try an in-place repair using he media creation tool.
Download the tool & run this & choose to upgrade the PC now.

Reaction score
What version of Windows are you running?
Have you ever installed any third party antivirus software? If yes then did you fully uninstall it then run their specific cleanup tool?
If Windows 10 you can try an in-place repair using he media creation tool.
Download the tool & run this & choose to upgrade the PC now.
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
I have not installed any anti virus software. I am currently using the tool and updating it supposedly. I will let you know if it fixes it.

Reaction score
The installation has finished. I was able to keep all my files and the problem was fixed thank you so much!

Reaction score
You’re welcome.
The in-place repair is very good & often works well instead of having to reset Windows.
If it doesn’t work then usually a clean install is needed.

Reaction score
It's often useful when you're getting unexplained glitches to open a command prompt in administrator mode and run sfc /scannow to completion. That clears up many such problems.

Reaction score
Sfc is a good cmd as well as DISM but in this case those didn’t work for me when I had the same problem as the op.

Ask a Question