SOLVED Windows Defender

Reaction score
Does anyone have a thorough understanding of the security settings options? I don't use "Cloud" never have and never will,currently I havet Cloud Delivered Protection enabled in the security centre. I can can see turning it on if Cloud Storage is used. My question is, in my case, do I really need Cloud protection enabled? Thanks!

Bif

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat Norton, I've turned mine off as soon as it was an offered feature... I have no use for things that don't pertain to what I don't use and never will.
I know that doesn't really answer your question on the thourout understanding aspect.. but it's all I got.

Reaction score
According to Microsoft......The Windows Defender Antivirus cloud service is a mechanism for delivering updated protection to your network and endpoints. Although it is called a cloud service, it is not simply protection for files stored in the cloud, rather it uses distributed resources and machine learning to deliver protection to your endpoints at a rate that is far faster than traditional signature updates.

Reaction score
The "sample submission ". works together with the cloud protection. There is no real benefit in turning them both off or, for that matter, leaving them on.
But your answer, Norton, is, yes, you can turn them off. It will be a downside for Microsoft, not you, as the threats found cannot be allayed.

Reaction score
I just have Cloud turned OFF, Automatic sample submission ON.
Having Cloud turned OFF has absolutely no impact on delivery of Defender definition updates. On an average day I see 3 if not 4 definition daily updates. I must say MS are paying more attention to their AV than they have ever done in the past. Since Sunday Defender definitions have been updated from 1.261.734.0 to current 1.261.827.0
Which is great and why I now use Defender instead of by beloved 3rd party AV Avira.

Ask a Question