SOLVED Windows Desktop Icons arrow.

Reaction score
I have tried for a long time to remove small arrows at bottom of Windows Desk top icons, more of a distraction than anything else. Have tried a Registry entry without any success, there is a software named Winaero Tweeker that does the job very well, but software can be unstable at times. Anyone have a solution to this.
Annotation 2020-08-16 164027.png

Reaction score
The basic issue is those arrows signify the icon is a shortcut associated with the actual program run file, usually an .exe Executable file shown in the folder for the program. Will also be seen on the desktop and in other folders if desired. A Search on the Internet should find programs and/or procedures for removing the arrow but the downside is the actual file can be inadvertently deleted making the associated program unusable.

Reaction score
Certainly a Registry entry has no affect in changing or removing the arrow.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Thinking about it you are absolutely right and will do just that. Thanks again for you response.
Anyone thinking of trying the Registry, save you time, I have tried it several times and each attempt produced nil success. My advice is listen to what Wolfie has written.

Last edited:

Ask a Question