'windows not properly shut down' causing crash/BSOD but no dump file

Reaction score
Hi there - I have crashes and BSOD which started about a month ago after a year of operation without any problems whatsover - From searching around I am not the only one experiencing this

Basically the laptop crashes at least once a day. the reliability monitor says the issue is because 'Window was not properly shut down' - and then i look into the tech report and it says the 'previous system shutdown was unexpected' showing a time when I was on the computer working i.e. there was no previous system shutdown.

This feels crazy -- I have switched off fast start as others seem to advise, plus I think i have done everything the internet advises with this issue - the only thing i haven't done is a full clean reinstallation of windows... What is the cause of this - it's so infuriating that windows can't actually say what is the problem... would be grateful if anyone has a solution ! many thanks

Reaction score
Wolfie, it helped me one day. But only for the first two months, and after it - happened again.

Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like VPN applications can cause such crashes, with all these drivers for them.

Reaction score
Reaction score
they do not seem to know the answer which is true of most places we try on the internet for help Most of the information these self help people give is old outdated or does not work at all

Reaction score
If you like, upload your System and Application logs to here (or to the cloud with a link to them here). There may be some useful clues in there.

Here's how to do that if you're not familiar with uploading logs....

1. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.

2. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.

3. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application-forumname (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

4. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System-forumname' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

5. Upload the Application-forumname.evtx and System-forumname.evtx files either directly to the forum or to the cloud with a link to them here. (The addition of forumname helps to identify individual logs).

Ask a Question