Windows Spotlight Lock screen photo not coming up on sign-in screen

Reaction score
Hello, Windows 10 Pro, fully fully updated. The following happens on two completely different machines (desktop and laptop of different manufacturers).

Up until some time ago (I believe, before Creator's Update, but not 100% certain about that), I used to have Windows Spotlight activated, so that almost every day or every other day, on lock screen, I get one of those lovely photos from Microsoft world archive. However, I not only used to get them on the Lock Screen, they were appearing on the Sign-In screen as well, as I thought they should, as Windows Spotlight works that way (right?). And I really liked it.

But as of one update, that stopped happenning. Windows Spotlight still works fine on Lock Screen, new photos just fine, but on the sign-in screen, I keep getting the Windows 10 default backgroud photo, the beach/cave one.

Needless to say, I changed nothing in the Sign-In or Lock screen settings at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Cheers

Reaction score
I think a cu in June or July messed Windows spotlight up as mine has been the same since then, Lockscreen fine, log in screen shows beach scene. On the odd occasion it does work.
I've tried the usual spotlight fixes including Brink's fix over on tenforum but nothing fixes it hence why I suspect that MS broke it with a previous CU.
I even tried a repair install of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Yes, I googled a bit about it, and I see I'm not the only one by a long shot, but I don't find anywhere anything that was marked as a solid solution.

Just out of curiosity, can you link the Brink's fix please? Cheers

Reaction score
Yeah, that did nothing :(

edit: curiously, a "Do you like this photo Yes/No" question, alongside the description of what photo was and where is now also gone :mad:

Reaction score
Shame it didn't work. Out of curiosity you did remember to change over to photo from Spotlight before running the fix? I've forgotten a couple of times & it's not worked. When it works you will see the plane wing photo, then once you've locked the computer the picture will change.

Reaction score
Bang.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...potlight/9a9150b2-8187-4ccf-8910-e66d13db0c7c

I have found a definitive solution for this. And it is the boot/login screen.

Open regedit and go to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Creative\S-1-5-21-826134325-3229497062-2753576501-1001

this will be your first user, if you got more change on all of them:

"LockScreenOptions"=dword:00000004

You propably got there 0 change to 4. Logout.

BAM Spoltight on boot screen.

This little piece of genius discovered by SebastianByczkowski.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is a very short term fix. On the very first change of the spotlight photo, the registry value gets reset to 0, and the background photo comes again.

Ask a Question