Windows Spotlight doesn't work!

Reaction score
Hello,

Please help me. I changed my Windows Lockscreen on Windows Spotlight, but nothing changed. Windows Lockscreen still showing my last custom image. There are some location, where these images are stored?

V_st_i_ek.png

THESE images i need to delete! My logon screen on startup still showing these pictures, even though I set Windows Spotlight.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi geobbu,

Welcome to the forum.

If I understand you correctly your lock screen works. but only displays a former image where as you wish to change the image viewed and thus far have had no success.

There is a couple of options you have in this scenario.

Option One — Use the built in trouble shooting tools (in this case System Maintenance tool)
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Control Panel
  • In the Control Panel window select View by: Large icons
  • Click on Troubleshooting
  • When the Troubleshooting window opens in the left pane click on View all
  • After a few seconds a list of troubleshoot tools will appear. Click on System Maintenance
  • This will open the System Maintenance window. Click on Advanced
  • Make sure Apply repairs automatically is checked then click on Run as administrator
  • This will return you to the System Maintenance windows. Click the Next button.

The System Maintenance will do a quick scan and if anything is wrong it will list this in the window and either report the issue fixed, or not fixed.

If this does not resolve your issue, then you can try option two.

Option Two — Clear all Assets via deletion then reset Lock Screen

• If you are not sure about deleting files now is a good time to create a restore point!

• Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on Settings icon
  • Left-click on Personalization
  • When the Personalization window opens in the left pane click on Lock Screen
  • Beneath Background click the drop arrow and select either Picture or Slide Show

The purpose here is to temporarily disable Windows Spotlight by selecting one of the other two options available.

• Next open File Explorer
  • In the address bar of File Explorer either type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets

Press Enter key to open the Assets folder.

• Making certain you are in the Assets folder click the Home tab then click Select all in the top toolbar
  • When all items in the Assets folder are selected in the Home tab click on Delete

You'll be prompted whether you wish to delete all. Agree.

After a few seconds the folder will empty.

• Close File Explorer folders
  • Return to your Start > Settings > Personalization > Lockscreen window

Under Background click the drop arrows and select Windows Spotlight

Finally close the settings windows so you can view your Desktop again and to test lock screen is active now simply press Windows key + L to lock the screen. Assuming all is working there you ought to be able to return to Lock Screen settings and select an image you wish. Just remember additional images are downloaded via internet so your internet connection needs to be on when changing settings there.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello,

I am try both options, but lockscreen still show my last custom image - in fact i deleted spotlight images, not my own.

I am sorry for my very bad english, i am using google translate and its complicated :D

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh, I did not realise you had deleted the actual images for Spotlight.

You ought to be able to replace them again. I'll just need to think of a simple way to do this. Possibly I can upload the default images to the forum for you to download and put into the correct folder.

If it is still displaying a former image that must still exist, and there may be a Registry key storing the command to load this image that can be manipulated.

I'll explore the options later today when I have time to spend on this and report back on a possible resolution.

In the meanwhile, others in the Forum Community may have suggestions too and may respond quicker than myself so keep an eye out for any ideas others have.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

I just wanted to double-check how you are trying to change image.

When I change my lock screen this is what I do:
  • I go to Start > Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen
  • I then click the drop arrow under Background and select picture
  • I then select a new picture
  • I then click that drop arrow again and re-select Windows Spotlight
  • Finally, I close the settings windows

At this point I can press Winkey + L to lock my screen and the image has changed to the new one I chose

Can you confirm these are the steps you are doing too please.

Ask a Question