Windows stops responding

Reaction score
My computer was working just fine until a couple days ago. I turned it on and windows would not respond. I tried everything to fix it from starting in safe mode to a virus scan, and now I can use my computer for about 10 minutes before windows stops responding. Task manager will not work and my computer does not restart, shut down, or even log off when I try to. I have to hold down the power button, which can't be good for my computer. Does anyone have any idea on how to get this to fix this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My computer was working just fine until a couple days ago.
Some information about the actual computer, might be helpful.
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc.
How old is it?
Was it an upgrade or a clean install of windows 10 or did it come with Windows 10 pre-installed.
How are your system temps?
How old is your hard drive?
Do you have a backup of all your critical data?
Do you have a disk image of your installation?

Reaction score
My computer is not overheating. I know that for a fact. Windows would not respond after being off for like 12 hours.

My has the following specs:
ASUS G501VW-BSI7N25 Gaming Laptop 6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I got it about 4 months ago. It came with windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can use my computer for about 10 minutes before windows stops responding.
When you say it stops responding.....
Can you explain??? Does the mouse stop moving? Does the system shut down? Does the screen go blank? Or is everything still visible on the monitor but it does not accept input?
Are you using a wired USB keyboard and mouse or are you using wireless input devices.

Reaction score
Windows stops responding. The mouse works. The system didn't shut down. The screen goes black after about 5 minutes after I hit end now,but the mouse is still on the screen. I'm using a wired mouse.

Ask a Question