Windows Symbol, no login section

Reaction score
I need help. I received the free upgrade to 10, so I don't have a disk to use. When I boot up I get to the final screen with the Windows logo but no login section. I can't get to safe mode, won't do it. Dell tells me I have to save everything to my Passport stand alone hard drive, wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall, which they will help me with, since I have a new Dell. Isn't there anything I can do to get logged in? A blind type of my password doesn't work. I was told to press shift and start to get to troubleshoot. Where is the start button, can't find it? It's not on the key board. Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you are at the screen you mention above, can you use the
Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination to produce anything additional? If it produces another screen there may be a power icon in the bottom right corner from which you should be able to choose restart while holding the shift key on your keyboard.

Reaction score
When you are at the screen you mention above, can you use the
Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination to produce anything additional? If it produces another screen there may be a power icon in the bottom right corner from which you should be able to choose restart while holding the shift key on your keyboard.
No, it's very strange. I'm at the login window, the blue window is on the right, nothing else is on the screen, nothing. I can't bring anything up. Dell tells me they haven't seen anything like this. They are sending me a copy of Windows 10 and they will attempt to save what they can and reformat and reload the OS. I guess that's the only way. I'll loose a lot but I have much save on my Passport stand alone hard drive. Thanks for the reply.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't you just boot from the installation media and use the command prompt to copy off your profile folder, which would likely contain most if not all of your critical data, onto an external USB resource?

Ask a Question