SOLVED Windows Update Not Working for Cellular Connection

Reaction score
I bought a new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10 preinstalled. I live in a remote area about 1/2 mile from an ATT cellular tower, so get my cellular Internet connection with a USB Beam device. However, Windows Updates will not download automatically. When I check for updates, the message says "Windows won't download updates on metered connections. Windows won't download updates on connections you mark as metered. This ensures Windows won't waste valuable tethering data or other mobile data on updates that can wait until it reaches a solid, unrestricted WI-FI network"

But this is a Desktop. I do not have DSL or WI-FI available in this area. I do know that you can turn off the metered connection option if you have WI-FI, but you can't do so if you have a cellular plan only. I have 20 Gb on my cellular plan, and would like to get updates automatically. Any idea if a fix is in the works? That same issue causes Outlook 2013 (Office 365 Personal) to not connect automatically when it starts. I have to push the "connect" button each time, because it doesn't want to use my data over a metered connection.

Reaction score
I wonder. Can you plug your USB cellular device into the internet side of a regular home router? I am asking if it will work like that. I don't see why it wouldn't but it might require some router set up.
if you don't have a router then I guess you'd have to borrow one.

OR maybe easier. Set up your smart phone as a wifi hotspot, iPhones and 90% of Androids can do this, and connect wifi to it from the Dell. Again I assume your cell phone is on Rogers or Bell both of which allow 'tethering'

The Windows metering thing won't be able to see that you are on a metered connection I think...it will just see regular wifi.

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. I upgraded the USB modem when I bought the new computer, so I'd have to pay retail for any new devices. Even so, I have been considering the hardware needed to set up a wifi hotspot. But I'm not excited about having to shell out money to fix what is basically a Windows 10 problem. I'm hoping that they will recognize they removed too many options, and will patch it so I can define my cellular connection as "non-metered".

Reaction score
The USB modem is built in? Or is this is just a dongle that goes into a USB port directly? Who supplied it Dell? Your ISP won't supply you with a suitable device? that doesn't allow W10 to think it is on a metered connection.

I thought it would be similar to the Huewai (sp?) device that Bell use for your sort of connection. A cellular modem with a basic router in the same box, supplied by the ISP.

Reaction score
Yes, the USB modem plugs in. I got it from ATT, my cellular Internet provider. Since their tower is close by, I could get a personal WIFI hotspot device. However, that would be at retail, because of the other device upgrade. Also, ATT has had lots of problems with Windows 10 drivers, so I don't want to trade one problem for another. I'm keeping the hotspot as a possible options for later; but MS should make the downloads more convenient for those of us on cellular connections, if we know we have lots of data on our plans.

Reaction score
I recently spoke with Microsoft Support about this issue. They have had a lot of complaints about Windows Update and Outlook settings for users with metered connections. However, they have also had many complaints of data overruns from users with small data plans. They are currently considering both sides of the issue. My hope is that they add the ability for individuals to choose which option they prefer.

Reaction score
I recently spoke with Microsoft Support about this issue. They have had a lot of complaints about Windows Update and Outlook settings for users with metered connections. However, they have also had many complaints of data overruns from users with small data plans. They are currently considering both sides of the issue. My hope is that they add the ability for individuals to choose which option they prefer.
I sympathise with both sides of the story and feel that an option should be available. I also live in a remote area (in Papua New Guinea) with internet access serviced only by a single cellular provider that charges like most companies with a monopoly do - through the nose. So I appreciate Microsoft taking care to ensure that only necessary data transfers take place. However, as this is my only means to get updates I do need to bite the bullet occasionally and buy extra packages to cater for needed downloads. So I would very much appreciate warnings and the ability to turn data transfers on and off when I deem appropriate. Hopefully Microsoft can give us this tool in the same way they seem able to provide it for WiFi. If anyone knows of a good data management tool that will advise me in 'layman terms' just where my data transfer costs are coming from (and/or likely to be) I would very much appreciate that information - thank you.

Reaction score
I actually get a message acknowledging there is a metered connection and that the update might cost, followed by a request as to whether I want to go on or not. When I press the 'Yes" button the message just goes away and there is no update, just the same as when I press the 'No' button. What next - any ideas?

Ask a Question