Windows10 crashes on inital boot up.

Reaction score
I have an HP pavilion dv7-1132nr which came with vista,and I upgraded to win7home edition no problems for years. I installed win10 download and every time I boot up it crashes within 5seconds shut the power off and on the second reboot it starts just fine and runs ok. I can restart with no problems but continue to have the crash from a dead start.My computer guy reformatted the drive and reinstalled win 10 from a install disc but the same problem still exists. Help!

Reaction score
I am unable to find the crash dump files. This is where i am looking Control panel/file history/Advanced Settings/event viewer. There does not seem to be anything related to crash dump files here.Where do you find these files?

Reaction score
I have the same problem...start computer, it doesn't get to Windows and crashes, shut off, restart and it works. This is getting very tiring....tempted to uninstall.

Reaction score
I know it is a pain but I am holding out for a fix by someone a lot smarter than me when it comes to a problem like this .I also posted the problem with the HP forum so maybe someone will help.Do you have an HP or other brand computer?

Reaction score
I know it is a pain but I am holding out for a fix by someone a lot smarter than me when it comes to a problem like this .I also posted the problem with the HP forum so maybe someone will help.Do you have an HP or other brand computer?
I have a Compaq Presario CQ60...I got that off the computer...I am relatively illiterate about computers..I like to turn it on and have it work. But I am willing to give 10 a chance...for a few more days, anyway.

Reaction score
Ok Compaq?HP all in the same family we may have to wait for a patch from them,I too do not want to give up as the OS works fine when it boots up.If I succeed I will notify you and please do the same for me Thanks Bill

Reaction score
I thought I responded to this, but can't find that I did, so will re-answer. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60. Not very computer literate.

Reaction score
Ok Compaq?HP all in the same family we may have to wait for a patch from them,I too do not want to give up as the OS works fine when it boots up.If I succeed I will notify you and please do the same for me Thanks Bill
thanks, Bill, will hang in there for awhile and notify if I find a fix.

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow responce.

The files that you are looking for end with dmp
They are in the following directories
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

This LINK on the Windows 7 sister site should help.

Please PM me if I don't see you respond to this thread.

Reaction score
Me too. Upgraded from W7 to W10. W7 used to BSOD about 2 or 3 times a week, about 10 minutes after it was booted, W10 BSODs during boot about every other day. Then claims it is collecting data for report but progress % never gets above 0%. Re-boot and it's OK, so far. Any ideas why?

Ask a Question